CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #31
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: How Does Anyone Afford CF?

Or option 4) if you like the affiliate, the environment, training, etc but it is truly out of your price range, talk to the owner and work it out. As small business owners they do have the flexibility to do that. There might be a trade in services, etc that could wrangle a discount. All they can say is no, it won't hurt you.

to expand on being truly out of your price range. It has already been brought up that budget is based on priorities. Being healthy is not only hard work, but it's an investment. take a look at your priorities and then take a look at where all your dollars go, do they line up? Where your money goes is where your priorities ACTUALLY lie... So if someone comes to my affiliate, says they can't afford it, I work a deal and then find out they drink a case of beer every weekend, you better believe I will cancel that deal. They can more then afford my membership if they scrap that beer. dig?

Last edited by Chris Walls : 05-26-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: expand on "truly out of your price range"
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
Steve Reggio

Profile:

This is a topic that has been beaten before but I can't help but chime in again.

Taking it personal- Yes, many affiliates do take it personal when you question the rates. Most affiliate owners are doing this boot strap, many have risked their entire life savings on making this happen. Some carry monthly fixed costs of $3,000-10,000 per month not including the equipment costs which could run $10,000-50,000 on top of that. Affiliate owners will work 12-20 hours a day for ZERO pay while they are trying to hit break even. Opening a CF affiliate is a HUGE risk and now you are saying that we should essentially give it away under cost because that is "CrossFit Like". Essentially what everyone is asking is for affiliates to give everything away or charge so little they can't cover their costs. We do that and die a slow death taking our life savings and families down with us. That is why we take it personally.

Seriously folks do some research, run the numbers on your own for your area and see what you would need to charge in order to make an affiliate happen. I bet you will be real surprised by what you find and then you'll see that affiliates are actually undercharging. Tomorrow why don't YOU be "CrossFit Like" and tell your boss- Hey- I've been thinking you should pay me less because I know it is tough to cover your costs.

Affiliates work their f***ing a**es off everyday and have put a great deal on the line to start their affiliate so yes we take it personal. Not *****ing because I LOVE what I do, I LOVE having an affiliate and I LOVE that my clients tell me CF and I have changed their life.

Here are some round numbers from my affiliate:
$2900/mth Rent
$250/ mth Utilities
$200/ mth Cleaning and miscellaneous
$200/mth Professional Services
$400/mth Marketing
$700/mth Trainer (not me)
So that is $4,650/mth just to cover costs.

I have spent $27,000 to date on equipment. Lets look at paying that down over 2 years at about $1,200/mth including interest. That puts me at $5,850 per month in costs, notice no where in there am I getting paid.

So yeah, I will end up working my a** off for over a year or more for NO pay. You bet I am going to take it personal when someone tells me I am charging too much and am trying to take advantage of them and that I am "Un-CrossFit" like.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #33
Steve Reggio

Profile:

Last add, I am not offended if someone says- I can't afford this. I give discounts to military, fire, police, teachers and try to do what I can for people to get started.

I realize the risk involved in starting a small business. But before you attack affiliates for the rates they charge, which many people are doing in this and other threads, you should do some research and try to understand the model and how it works.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Hey guys, relax a minute and please re-read the Originial poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint reach View Post
I could be way off here but after doing a little research it seems to me that CF affiliates charge a fee that only the well-off could possibly afford (which seems pretty "un-crossfit" to me). I've been doing CF for a couple years now and am kind of in a lull at the moment, needing some outside motivation to get me back into it. I found that places in this area (DC) as well as elsewhere are charging around $200/mo. Does that seem high to anyone else? Considering CF typically caters to military, police, fire, etc., I don't see how they could possibly afford those rates (I'm in the military). I went to another CF gym once and did a Cindy-type workout and was charged $20. I thought the guy was joking when he gave me the price. I was only there for a half hour tops. To me, buying all the gear and building your own gym is the only way to go but at the moment, that's not an option for me due to lack of space. I want to get others' take on this issue. What am I not getting here?
Here.

So why so much hostility!?

He never said the quality is poor, that he don't want to pay such high-price, or anything that could be interpreted as offending or anything

He just want to know if it's only because of his area, or something else ( obviously ), and wanted some feedback from some people.

So Clint, what you are not getting here is that you pay for an high-quality service. I won't go into the details, but the decision is yours either you want to train under quality instruction or not. period.

Lot's of my friend doesn't understand how can I pay 106$ for a globo-gym each month ( top-notch globo gym though). Crossfit Montreal is far from me, a good 20-30min ride, even more with metro/bus, and would cost me even more than now, but I would go there if it was 5min away from my home. If I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, it is like spending 4-6$ a day on something as important as health.

Is 4-6$ a day too much investment for a life long thing like health? Not in my opinion. I come back with my friends with "How much money you WASTE each week-end to 'party', which actually deteriorate your health?"

They usually don't answer as they know that they spend WAY more then 7x6$ per week....

It is totally worth it, and really not THAT expensive when you think that it's the best thing you could be doing for your health ( with a good diet).

Look at your current expenses. Find a recurrent one that is more or less 4-6$ a day. Now is it good or bad for your health? Here you might have found how to pay for membership

But Geez, don't be so defensive guys. It's as if he really threatened you guys or something......

Last edited by Frederic Giraud : 05-26-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
However, some of the people making this argument against the $5-$8 have no problem dropping that on a coffee or sodas throughout the day.
This is a good argument for people who are actually in that position. But for me, $100-$200/month is a full 10-20% of my monthly post-tax wages. Once you take out food, utilities, rent, insurance, etc, I'm having trouble saving an emergency fund, much less spending it on an affiliate. I don't want to pull the whole "Oh, woe is me and my poverty" routine, it's not your guys' problem. But my disappointment with affiliate costs comes from the fact I always assumed Crossfit gyms were going to be less expensive than most commercial gyms due to the bare-bones equipment. I didn't understand the model. But I do wish the model was tweaked a bit to allow people in my financial situation to participate.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
Mark Reinke

Profile:

X2 Steve.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #37
Matt Thacker

Profile:

In my opinion, comparing our monthly fees with a globo-gyms fees makes Crossfit gyms look expensive. More realistically, our monthly fees are more comparable with the fees charges by a good Jiu Jitsu school, gymnastics school, Dancing school ect. We are offering quality group training not equipment rental. Most of the confusion regarding high membership fees is based on this misunderstanding.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #38
Steve Reggio

Profile:

OK, this is my last last add on this. This is to Emily in particular and anyone else that absolutely can not afford a CF affiliate. If you think going to an affiliate would benefit you (which I think it will for anyone) and you absolutely can not afford it no matter what you do then here is what you should do:
Go to your local affiliate, explain the situation in depth, talk about your love of CF, explain your financial situation and then offer a trade. Think of something that you can offer of value in exchange for a certain number of sessions per month. You might be able to offer professional services, clean the box, babysit for them, whatever you can do.

A lot of affiliates may take you up on this. I know I would give a free month if someone cleaned for me once a week. I currently have a couple teachers that babysit for my son as a barter for their membership. It works and everyone is happy.

You may not be able to pay full rate but you can offer something. Being a small biz we can do things like this. So instead of complaining about the cost, get creative. Your local affiliate may take you up on it and then everyone wins!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #39
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fetter View Post

Without instruction and form critique, I'd wager you're more likely to see injuries from cleans, jerks, and (gasp) squats than from leg extensions and pec-decks. Instruction by competent staff costs money.

So eliminate the trained staff, and you've escalated the potential liabilities of the CF gym. In a society where restaurants lose million dollar lawsuits with clients who've slipped and hurt themselves on soft drinks they'd poured on the floor themselves ...
I think you've hit on the bottom line Tom.

While I would like as much as the next guy to pay an affiliate $50 or so a month for a "drop-in" rate and forgo the training, such a deal would expose the affiliate to an enormous amount of risk.

Most gym-goers choose their excercises by watching other gym-goers and then by trial-and-error, and most have no idea what they are actually capable of (or not capable of). So you're going to have some 20-year-old meathead walk in and see somebody doing overhead squats and think "that's awesome!"... he's gonna stack up 150 lbs (or as much as he can get above his head, anyway), do something wrong, and end up with a barbell shaped divot on the top of his skull.

At golds or whatever, people mostly aren't doing that stuff, and if the same meathead sues because he crushed 8 ribs when he put 1,000 lbs on the leg press sled and ended up with his knees in his chest, the corporation has a team of lawyers ready. Joe's CF Gym doesn't have that kind of resources.

So you've either got to say "no drop-ins", have a REALLY good waiver and a high risk tolerance, or have an extensive series of evaluations that someone has to pass before they are allowed to work out on their own.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #40
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thacker View Post
In my opinion, comparing our monthly fees with a globo-gyms fees makes Crossfit gyms look expensive.
Somebody going to my globo-gym to work with a trainer 3 days a week is going to be paying $520 minimum ($40 a month membership + 12*$40 per 1/2 hour training session). That's pretty standard, and we all know how good the average globo trainer is (there are good ones, hell I AM a globo-trainer, but there are, uh... "less good" ones too).

In my opinion, comparing your monthly fees to a globo-gym makes your affiliate look like a steal. Now, I can't personally afford $150 or $200 a month, but the service is well worth the money.

I work out at home or at the gym I work at in lieu of a CF affiliate for the same reason that I drive a paid-off Integra with 154,000 miles on it instead of a shiny new 2008 Corvette. I'd rather have the Vette, but groceries come first!