CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Ethan Brooks

Profile:
For those who say they can't afford a gym...

A few days ago, my family christened the gym I built in our basement with our first Crossfit exercise. My budget? $470.00. This just goes to show how much is possible, even on a shoestring budget. I would post images, but I'm not exactly sure how, since I don't think they have a URL.

Anyway, a few tips for the frugal gym-builder:

Build everything you possibly can for yourself
Comb the Crossfit message boards. They are full of ways to contrive gym equipment out of everyday materials. Type in a piece of equipment under "search" and the chances are good that you will turn something up.

Don't neglect eBay
At first I thought "most of this stuff is so heavy, shipping would make it way too expensive on eBay." Well then search for things within driving distance and pick them up yourself. Also, there are a few things worth buying despite the shipping costs.

Don't always trust eBay
There are stores on eBay that buy things and resell them at higher than market price. Don't assume that just because it's on ebay, it's as cheap as it gets.

Craigslist
'nuff said.

Use your local craftsmen
Whether you know them personally or not, your local craftsmen are probably experts in their craft and will be willing to lend their advice, if not their labor, to your project. I called local carpenters and masons, and enlisted the help of a set designer who I knew at the local college and a local metalworker who I had met once or twice. No one charged me a cent.

In general, look at what you have already and what people are willing to give away before looking to the store shelves.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: For those who say they can't afford a gym...

So what's in your gym, then?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Chris Cackler

Profile:

Yeah, can you give us a list of things that make up your gym?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

A gym doesn't have to cost a bundle. I'm in for about $660 now, but got along for months on a $200 investment ... for #200 in weights, a garage-sale standard bar and dumbell handles, and a home made power rack with pull up bar.

Those of you living in/near real cities could do better. In my tiny city of 50k people, nobody puts #300 OLY sets on sale (my weights cost $0.80/pound), there's no used sports equipment store, and nothing of Crossfit use (e.g. rower, power rack, metal weights) on CraigList or in the classifieds. Gas for the 5 hour drive to a medium sized city would eat up any savings ...

DIY Power rack built from laminated 2 X 4s, 1" square tubing spotter bars, and a pipe for pull-ups. Bulletproof DIY bench and platform built with scrounged construction lumber and/or plywood.

#350 weights $280
dumbbell handles and awful 1" bar $15
power rack (DIY) $40
bench (DIY) $0
platform (DIY) $0
PVC rings (DIY) $15
used rower from Rowing club $300
skipping rope $10

total $660
Old 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Brian Castillo

Profile:

Hey Tom, can you post pics, or directions for the DIY power rack? thanks

ViVa La Deviance
Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Someone else asked me to post a picture of my homebrew power rack recently ... and I soon found that the battery in my camera had run down.

Then I forgot.

I'll try and take a picture tonight, and post it. The rack's ugly, but works well.

t
Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Alex Woodland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fetter View Post
Someone else asked me to post a picture of my homebrew power rack recently ... and I soon found that the battery in my camera had run down.

Then I forgot.

I'll try and take a picture tonight, and post it. The rack's ugly, but works well.

t
be good to see