CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Jesse Johnson

Profile:
Exclamation Please advise ( Need Help )

I really excited about this program & fell it got loads of great training
routines but I am lost on how to get started and even on what all the work-outs are. I now it sounds silly , but if any one would like to assit it would be greatlly appreciated. Also If their is anyone willing to meet in CT. to train please let me know!!!

Jesse
Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Chris Hancock

Profile:
Re: Please advise ( Need Help )

Read through of the "getting started" and "FAQ" sections: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html

Those should give you a pretty good start. (Don't forget the "What is Fitness?" Crossfit Journal at the bottom on the getting started section)

The Workout for the next day gets posted on the main page at 7 or so Pacific time, just do that the next day.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Chris Hancock : 09-09-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Just Because
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Jesse, welcome!

To get started . . .

1) read the FAQ (linked at the top this page), and follow as many of the links provided there as possible. Read them all.
2) in particular, read the "Start here" links (on the upper right side of the page)
3) Use the information there to judge how you want to start (depends on the condition that you're in)
4) When you're ready (maybe right now?), just start doing the Workout of the Day (the WOD) from the center of the main page at www.crossfit.com. If that seems too much for you, use the scaled workout provided by Brand X Martial Arts (a CrossFit affiliate in California), which are also linked at the upper right side of the FAQ page.

Questions you'll probably ask:

1) is that all we do (the WOD)? A: generally, yes. If you have specific sports-specific training needs, you will have to figure out how to work those in, too. CrossFit is a *general* physical fitness program, and may not be enough for your specific sport. But if you have lots of energy left over after doing the WOD, you probably didn't go hard enough. Do it again, with more weight, and faster this time.

2) What about cardio? A: you really don't need 30 or 40 minutes of steady-state low intensity cardiovascular training. The WOD will frequently included short bouts of very intense (gasping, gut wrenching) anaerobic work . . . you'll find that that's enough, unless you're planning running 10K or more competitively.

3) Can I still do my bodybuilding exercises? A: Sure, you can, if you want to. There are no "CrossFit police" who will break into your gym and arrest you for doing curls. Most of us have found those workout pointless after a few weeks of CrossFit, though.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Jesse Johnson

Profile:

Thanks for the heads up I look forward to training Hard Take Care!!!