CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Pat Janes

Profile:

Just did my 1st muscle-up about 20 mins ago..! I couldn't believe when I started to roll over the top of the rings. I think I almost fell down from the shock of it.

3 days ago, I started re-reading the November 2002 edition of the CrossFit Journal (contains info re: the muscle-up); I figured it was time I started working on them as I've been crossfitting for a while now and have done more pullups than most people walk.

So... I spent the last couple of days working on my false grip and doing sets of singles and wearing a big groove in my wrists.

This morning I decided to push a little harder after reading in the above article:

"As weird as it sounds not trying hard enough is common among even the most accomplished athletes. Don’t give up on each attempt until you’ve struggled for ten seconds with the rings at the chest. This part is very hard."

At the top I kept pulling as hard as I could, pushed my nose forward and tried to roll my elbows up and over... 1st muscle up resulted.

I did another one about 10 mins ago, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

So... moral of the story is, if you've been CrossFitting for a while, cranking 100s of pullups/dips and think that a muscle-up is beyond you, chances are, you're just not trying hard enough.

Pictures (and possibly video) to come...
Old 11-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
CONGRATS!!! The muscle up is one of those exercises that you can really grunt through pretty darned slowly sometimes. It's odd but I've had reps where it takes me a good 5-10 seconds to get from a full pull up to the base of the dip, but does indeed make it.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
CONGRATS!!

I want to try one of these so bad. I just don't have anything around that I could try one on. I don't have any rings and can't afford any right now.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Sweet--our first documented Aussie CrossFit muscle-up!

Great work, Pat.

Mike
Old 12-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Yay! Great job, Pat!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:36 AM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

Thanks guys... I've now done 6 of them throughout the day; it's become kind of addictive.

Not sure I'm quite ready for the 30 muscle-up WOD tomorrow though (I run a 3-day cycle behind).
Old 12-01-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Great job Pat! It's a strength and technique thing. I strained my neck (from the lower neck to between the shoulder blades) doing the 30 muscle-ups. . .must be pushing my head too far forward!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #8
Pat Janes

Profile:

Well... after only learning how to do muscle-ups yesterday, I thought for some reason, that I was ready for a 30 muscle-up WOD. I was wrong.

I managed to get 5 muscle-ups in the 1st 30 mins, with about 15 missed attempts in between; I struggled with each miss for at least 10 secs before giving up on them; some stuck, but most wouldn't.

I was amazed by how quickly they fatigued me. I got 2 in the 1st couple of minutes, but I needed much more of a break for the 3rd, and increasingly large breaks for #4 and #5.

After 30 mins, I realised I just wasn't going to get anymore and finished the rest of the WOD with the 4PU/Ring dip sub. As a new convertee to MU, I'm not sure that 4 is really enough.

As I said in my WOD comments, anyone who believes that 4PU/4Dips is too hard a sub for a MU, hasn't done one, because they are really tough, particularly for reps.

I am still trying to imagine what 30 muscle-ups in just over 7 minutes looks like; it certainly defies my imagination. Amazing work, Kelly...!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Pat - in my ignorance about Australia - does a muscle down under start from upside down?

:biggrin:
Old 12-02-2004, 03:17 AM   #10
Pat Janes

Profile:

Interesting you should say that, Beth. I got the video camera out today and had to turn the viewfinder upside down to point it towards me to line it up properly. So the picture was indeed, upside down.

However, I'll be leaving the inverted muscle-up alone for a while yet, I think.

For now, as promised; photographic evidence of a pretty ugly looking muscle-up:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/6449.jpg