CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Scott Paltos

Profile:
Re: programming questions (strength)

Please take into account (regarding your template for the week) that all your met-con work will have a very negative affect on max strength levels in the later major movements.

As well as take in regards to CNS fatigue/failure and recovery. Too many comments on percentages and estimated maxs. Get an idea of what clientele * good points from a couple above* is and what they need. Program levels in the box and work with them within "their" realm.

Think...is it really smart to have a early member doing 5x5 in sub-maximal values...or better yet 3x3 explosive movements? Get your people conditioned and moving the proper loads safely. An occasional sub-maximal session is good, but don't program it for all.

And if it is for personal use...there are much better options...and make sure to use some of the met-con movements for specific reasoning.

Hope this expands thought process a little...good stuff, SP
Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Something to consider when programming for an entire gym, especially if you plan to do a metcon after...

5x5 sets can take a really long time.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Damon Stewart

Profile:

When we do a strength cycle I'll typically program it like this:

Novice: 5, 5, 5, 3, 3. The sets of 5 increase and the triples are sets across. Goal is to increase the triples by 5-10lbs per session for 12-16 sessions.

Intermediate: Depends on the goals, usually some form of a modified Texas with triples, doubles, and singles. So Monday 5x3, Wed 8x2, Fri 7x1.

I'll typically just squat and then add supplementary work between sets...weighted dips, pullups, etc. This leaves time for the met-con that my athletes love and crave so much. Last of all...I leave a timer running and usually do sets on an interval of anywhere from 1:15 to 5 minutes to keep classes running on time. I do the same for myself so I'm not weightlifting for 2-3 hours/day.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I prefer to do sets across (ex. - 5x5) with most people because mathematically you'll always do more work/volume. I don't want to waste the first couple of sets of what essentially would be heavy warm-ups. However, this takes into account that you already know or have a really good idea of what that 5RM number is. If not, I use ascending (ex. - 5-5-5) to find it.

Like Tamara said, sometimes you have to use ascending sets to save time or free up equipment. Ascending sets can also be good to help manage fatigue and overtraining. Sets across is a lot of stress on the nervous system and with all the metcons you can get burned out fast, or worse, injured.