CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Rolando Garcia

Profile:
Two a day question

I always hear people saying they workout twice a day. How many hours between workouts in a same day?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Two a day question

Could be anywhere from minutes to hours, depends on why you're doing two a days to start with. Say youre gearing up the volume for an upcoming competition that will require you to do 2-3 wods in a couple hours. Youll want to practice a few wods back to back with only 45min-1 hr of rest. This will help increase your recovery skills and engine.

On the other hand, many people have a weight training session once a day and a conditioning workout at the other end of the day. Most people will do a morning session and an afternoon session(because they have jobs, but also to fully recover between effort and different metabolic pathways).

Some people also add an additional workout some days solely to practice skillwork. There are a bunch of different ways to schedule your programming, and all depends on the goal.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Rolando Garcia

Profile:

well for example I see on "outlaw" they might have 3 things scheduled a day (BBG, Strength& Conditioning). I figure I would work 1 of these around 8am since I typically hit the noon class before I go to work from 3pm-2am. Just don't wanna do too much.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando Garcia View Post
well for example I see on "outlaw" they might have 3 things scheduled a day (BBG, Strength& Conditioning). I figure I would work 1 of these around 8am since I typically hit the noon class before I go to work from 3pm-2am. Just don't wanna do too much.
It's usually all in a row.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Rolando Garcia

Profile:

I sort of figured that, just thought I would pick 1 (strength or whichever) or hell all 3, which I prob need work at. But since my class is 4 hours later and work 2 hours after that. Just wondering if that would be to much. Especially since I'm no spring chicken anymore.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I'm glad your injury wasn't serious!

WFS

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88016
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Rolando Garcia

Profile:

MRI was Monday, results this Wednesday, doc believes it a miniscus tear. So Havnt been doing really anything but reading (Crossfit forum). But today started in on some weight training (machines and anything upper body) since in crutches. But asking this cause hopefully only be out a month or less.
Just an inquiry so I could work (when healed) on skill, strength or whatever and still go to my regular class.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Chris Jones

Profile:

I didnt know about the injury man, hope it turns out well. In the meantime i would focus on bench and pullups(either for volume or weighted) to keep your upper body strength up. Also benching will be a nice addition since most CF places dont schedule it often or at all.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It would be foolish to try to do Outlaw and whatever your class programming is.

Something Outlaw Connectivity (their gymnastics component) and/or their BarbellGymnastics (SnCJ, strength work) might not be a bad idea in addition to your class programming especially if it doesn't hit those modalties on said day.

So basically, don't do Outlaw Barbell portion if your class workout is gonna hit Snatches, Cleans, Jerks, or Squats and strength work. Basically don't do things twice. If you Snatched on the Outlaw BBG and then did cleans at your class, that would probably be alright or Squats one, presses on the other.. You might even get away if one session was front squats and the other back squats or DL and squat.

YOU don't need to do 2 metcons in a day. Maybe if one was short duration and one was something monostructural cardio (row/run/swim) that would be fine but I don't think you need to do one short and one medium/long metcon.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
Rolando Garcia

Profile:

Good points Blair, bad thing is my box doesn't post Wod's (so members will not pick and choose the days). So fornskme reason everyone keeps it hush hush, so I would let's say do a BBG at 8!am and the hit class at noon. Pretty difficult. To plan around.