CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Ben Janetzki

Profile:
Squat Help

Hey All,
I have been scanning these boards for what feels like years, but havent really contributed too much due to my lack of knowledge. Which brings me to this...

I need some advice/guidance on what i can do about my back squat numbers. IMO my squat is disgraceful when compared with to what i would consider other people of equal ability.

Firstly I am 6'0, 88kg. Current CFT numbers are:
110kg (242#) Squat
165kg (363#) Deadlift
62.5kg (137#) Press

I know i am definitely not the strongest bloke getting about, but my squat is what concerns me most....and just for reference my current Front Squat PB is 105kg and overhead squat is 90kg...i just feel as though there is an imbalance there...and i have no idea how to fix it.

I am doing the same amount of work as others i train with but there numbers are far superior and their improvement over the last 12 months has been much better.

Another example of how my squat is currently holding me back is with my clean. My current 1RM 'Power' Clean is 100kg, but current 1RM "Squat" Clean is 95kg. I have been caught in the bottom of a 100kg squat clean countless times...but just cant stand it up.

I guess what i am after is to see if anyone else out there has been in a similar situation and come out of it after trying something different or what techniques they used to get better. We have been using the Wendler Program on and off in cycles for the last 18months but like i said, my numbers feel stagnent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers
Ben
Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Re: Squat Help

have you tried a programme like Stronglift 5x5? it put about double onto my squat. the one everyone goes on about is the smolov but i've not done that. the other one i've tried that seems to work quite well is 1set of 20reps every day, increasing by 5lb each time.

also, squats with a pause at the bottom are really good for building strength out of the hole.

lastly you can never practice technique enough
Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

It is possible to have issues with your back squat that are not present in your front/overhead squat.

First thing that comes to mind is dropping the chest forward.

I would shoot a video of your back squat and post it in the video coaching section.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Josh Blackburn

Profile:

To working on getting out of the hole, practice with box squats. You can set the box at parallel, sit completely on it and explode up.

Then over time lower the box.

You could try squatting 2x a week, one day heavier lower reps and the other day higher reps, lighter weight.

Make sure rest and nutrition are on point as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hey Ben, I looked at this and your old posts. It seems you just turned 31 (which you left out) and have progressed a bit from last year. 10kg on the squat, 7.5 on the OHP, 15kg on the DL. Decent gains in 1 year.

I mean 88kg on a 6' frame is on the lighter side. I think I found you on FB and you are definitely a lightly built in shape guy if it is. Basically you would need more SWOLE. More size on that frame which generally means more strength work and food. Another issue is that work schedule if you're still at the mine.

Quote:
My current 1RM 'Power' Clean is 100kg, but current 1RM "Squat" Clean is 95kg. I have been caught in the bottom of a 100kg squat clean countless times...but just cant stand it up.
Yeah, a general rule of thumb is being able to [squat]clean your 3rm FS. However, your 1rm is 105 whereas it should be at least 110 by that ratio if you want to [squat]clean 100. 100x3=110ish. Close enough. Actually 109, which means you need to make your FS your current BS.

There is a lot of things you could do. If it's a 4 day, 1 lift 531 split, you could add in a day of squatting to go with one of the lifts. So this means adding in a day of FS a few days seperated on one of the days you do OHP/BP. This is probably the simplest.

If you're doing a 2 day split, you would probably add FS to the day you do DL meaning there would be some form of press in there as well. Or you could add FS to the BS afterwards unless you are doing a 531 template that has plenty of leg accessory work.

Obviously you have a discrepancy between your squat and deadlift but this is fairly common for many people and crossfitters, especially if they only squat once a week. Common with bodybuilders at my old gym as well (no, I'm not talking about guys who can't squat their bench but just a gap between their squat and deadlift).

Other programs than 531. GSLP, 70'sBig, LiftRunBang, ConjugateCF, etc.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
To working on getting out of the hole, practice with box squats. You can set the box at parallel, sit completely on it and explode up.

Then over time lower the box.
Hmm...meh. At his strength levels, he is going need to catch the bounce off the bottom of his squat clean or there really isn't much hope for standing it up. As well sitting your butt back is pretty much the exact opposite of sitting/squatting down in a FS (though I know some people do box FS).