CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Joseph Smyth

Profile:
Snatching Around Shoulder Injuries

A few years ago I suffered a dislocated left shoulder while doing some seated DB shoulder presses. I did a few months of PT and recovered full range of motion without surgery.

Since then I have gotten into Crossfit, and I have both enjoyed it and progressed nicely in most skill areas. My one problem, however, is performing (heavy) full snatches. I can perform power snatches with no issues, but often while squat snatching, specifically when catching the bar, my shoulder feels slightly unstable. On a few rare occasions, I have even felt a slight subluxation of the joint, which leads to several days of pain/stiffness afterwards. Obviously this is bad, and I don't want to risk any more damage to my shoulder, so my question is- is there a way/technique I can still snatch heavier weights without so much impact/risk on my shoulders? I have considered switching to split snatching, but I'm not sure that would make a huge difference.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: Snatching Around Shoulder Injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Smyth View Post
A few years ago I suffered a dislocated left shoulder while doing some seated DB shoulder presses. I did a few months of PT and recovered full range of motion without surgery.

Since then I have gotten into Crossfit, and I have both enjoyed it and progressed nicely in most skill areas. My one problem, however, is performing (heavy) full snatches. I can perform power snatches with no issues, but often while squat snatching, specifically when catching the bar, my shoulder feels slightly unstable. On a few rare occasions, I have even felt a slight subluxation of the joint, which leads to several days of pain/stiffness afterwards. Obviously this is bad, and I don't want to risk any more damage to my shoulder, so my question is- is there a way/technique I can still snatch heavier weights without so much impact/risk on my shoulders? I have considered switching to split snatching, but I'm not sure that would make a huge difference.

Thanks!

i also have a shoulder issue and the best advice i can give you is don't do it if its uncomfortable. instead. i would focus more on rehabing the shoulder and strengthening it so at some point you can do the movement. i have been doing a lot of shoulders rehab via crossover symmetry and lot of mobility and it already made a huge difference but there are still things i avoid like heaving snatches, butterfly pullups etc..

in my opinion, unless you are competing in CrossFit and as long as your goal is just to be stronger and healthier, sometimes its best to just accept the fact that there are things that you should avoid in order to stay healthy. trust me, you can be strong and healthy even without snatching.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Its really about getting your upper back, shoulder/scaps strong. There are a bazillion ways to do it, but you gotta do it.

Here is one video from Cal Strength to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvY3TRrL-Q

Mobility is key too.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

No.

And No on the split snatching.

You just need to make up for your weak shoulders. Shoulder ****. Therabands and lighter db stuff

Cuban presses

DB Mu Snatch

BB Mu Snatch

Snatch grip Press and Push Press.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Brett Valego

Profile:

I will echo with what everyone says. I just spent 5 months not lifting AT ALL. it sucked. get your shoulder super strong and THEN snatch. patience. you won't get anywhere otherwise.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys. It's good to know that I don't necessarily have to give up snatching entirely. As with anything in Crossfit, I'll be sure to put in some hard work at at trying to strengthen and stabilize my shoulders (been using the crossover symmetry program about 2 weeks now).

If anyone else has any other tips/experience/suggestions please contribute!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Joseph,

As someone who has had pretty much the exact same issues I can echo a lot of what has already been said.

I have spent most of last year building up the muscles & confidence in my snatching. (You can check my log dating all the way back to Feb 2012 for my injury). Afterwards I had on and off issues with my shoulder up to and leading into my time spent working with a coach on an individual program who completely understood my injury.

My shoulders now feel great and strong and are not an issue snatching. It was a slow gradual build up.

I think a lot has contributed to my rehab but the two things not mentioned were tempo OHS (we did 5s descent, 5 second hold at bottom) and lots of TGUs. As well my dynamic shoulder work (ie kipping chin ups for volume) is very little.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Joseph,

As someone who has had pretty much the exact same issues I can echo a lot of what has already been said.

I have spent most of last year building up the muscles & confidence in my snatching. (You can check my log dating all the way back to Feb 2012 for my injury). Afterwards I had on and off issues with my shoulder up to and leading into my time spent working with a coach on an individual program who completely understood my injury.

My shoulders now feel great and strong and are not an issue snatching. It was a slow gradual build up.

I think a lot has contributed to my rehab but the two things not mentioned were tempo OHS (we did 5s descent, 5 second hold at bottom) and lots of TGUs. As well my dynamic shoulder work (ie kipping chin ups for volume) is very little.

Good luck.
Thanks Jason- again great to hear that some people have managed to recover from a similar injury. I'd love to hear some of the specifics of your rehab programming, if you wouldn't mind posting it, or just shooting me a DM. cheers!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Bob Butz

Profile:

T-Nation has a good article on "rebuilding the shoulder" WFS that offers some really good advice and a strategy for fixing instability and flexibility problems.

The test in the beginning of the T-nation article (and their advice to cease all pull-ups until you can pass test #1) is probably the single best thing you can do if your shoulders are giving you trouble on the overhead lifts (or in general).
Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I would agrgee with that article 100%. Kipping chin ups is what got me in trouble in the first place. That and doing Crossfit with a desk job and crappy mobility.

I have done all those exercises. Like I said, the tempo OHS with the pause in rock bottom and TGUs (slow and steady) helped a pile. Lots of horizontal rows and strict pull ups help also. But mobility is huge. All that crap K Star has is good. I will spend 20 minutes 5/week on mine during the winter.

Heard good things about the crossover symmetry as well.

Joseph, just go check my log starting back last August and read away. There was no specific program I did for rehab, like I said a gradual build up.