CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
Martin Weir

Profile:
I am thinking of trying Pavels Power to the People for a while.

If you could use one of Trap Bar Deadlift or Barbell Deadlift what would you use?

I have had many lower back injuries in the past.

Crossfit had a video a couple of weeks ago demonstrating the DL with a barbell. The guy in the video described the DL as a healing excercise. I was thinking the barbell DL may stregthen my back more than the trap bar. (?)
Old 02-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
There was some discussion on this either here or at the PM site. I think the view is that barbell is better if you can maintain good position. I use the trap bar to help me keep a good arch in my back. However, you could also just lift from small blocks with a barbell if that's an issue.

I think the question is why you have back injuries. If it's because of poor flexibility and inability to maintain the lordotic arch, then the trap bar may be good.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Martin Weir

Profile:
Thanks.

What is the PM site?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Trap bar is more a squat.....DLs is more a "pull". 2 different exercise...although both good.

Could also go lighter and try a DL with a snatch "wide" grip....work on form....and if that's not hard enough stand on a 2" step and do it....trust me, they suck.

PM site, link may not be SFW...too many rebels there
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/index.php

(Message edited by mike_od on February 17, 2007)

(Message edited by mike_od on February 17, 2007)
Old 02-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Mike:

I think it's another one of these body shape things. For me, a trap bar deadlift feels very different to a squat and I can do something like 80% more weight.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Dan Ensing

Profile:
I believe Eugene Allen uses a trap bar for deadlift, but I'm not sure if he rotates it in or uses it full time. He may weigh-in w/ his opinion.

Dan
Old 02-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Todd Ebert

Profile:
I personally find it easier to go heavy with the trap bar deadlift. The weight I could use with the straight bar seemed always to be limited by my lower back. I believe the trap bar still works my lower back, but in such a way that my back doesn't become the weak link. Maybe your mechanics are similar.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Initially lifting with the trap bar is far easier and it has it's place. However, I feel that one should learn to lift a barbell off the floor properly. As was said before, they are two very different lifts.

First, the barbell encourages you to lift properly. If have to use a pvc pipe and then move to an empty bar and never progress beyond a 100lbs, I still think it's a more intelligent way to go than cramming a ton of weight onto a trap bar and hoping for the best. Learning the barbell dl will encourage good form and flexibility and train the muscles to coordinate properly. As coach said in the video the other day, it used to be called the "Health Lift" and for good reason.

Second, if you ever want to do any other barbell lifts, then you should learn to use the barbell. For example, if you want to learn to clean or snatch, then being able to DL the bar off the floor is a pre-requisite. You shouldn't be practicing slow deadlifts with a trap bar and then fast pulls from the floor for a clean with a barbell. You should learn the slow deadlift with a barbell and then the fast cleans and snatches only after you have mastered the DL.

To that end, if you own a barbell or ever should come in contact with a barbell (IF YOU ARE READING THIS, THEN THAT MEANS YOU!), you should know the proper way to lift it off the floor because more often than not, heavy things wind up on the floor (Thank you, gravity). And it's in your best interest to know how to pick them up SAFELY.

Third, you should have less equipment, not more. Or at least you shouldn't be looking to spend money on a bar with which you can only do one lift. Unless you're Eugene Allen and have the most awesome home gym ever. God bless you, Eugene Allen.

PS- To answer your question, Martin. Yes, learning to properly DL with a barbell will probably help your back more than you can imagine.

(Message edited by musashi on February 18, 2007)