CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Bacon question

I posted this on FB:

"Ok, I have a question... At the very least bacon is loaded with sodium, yet many of those who follow Paleo diets and so on and eschew processed foods treat it like it is the best food ever. It seems a confusion of principles, no?"
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Bacon question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I posted this on FB:

"Ok, I have a question... At the very least bacon is loaded with sodium, yet many of those who follow Paleo diets and so on and eschew processed foods treat it like it is the best food ever. It seems a confusion of principles, no?"
http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/ (wfs- warning, may contain pictures of bacon)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

mmmmm, bacon.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/ (wfs- warning, may contain pictures of bacon)
Good article. Thanks for sharing!!

Grass-fed pork is a great choice. A little pricey and hard to find, depending on your locale, but oh so good

Michael
Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Dana Rice

Profile:

I am in no way affiliated with this company other than being a customer, but I have ordered pork, venison, bison, elk and boar from this site:

http://www.blackwing.com (w/f/s)

It's not too pricey, and I can attest for its tastiness. The uncured/nitrate free bacon is delicious. Although, it does have organic sugar and evaporated cane juice as ingredients if you care about that kind of thing.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I posted this on FB:

I don't discriminate. Bacon is good and so is fruit. LOL.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Thank you for the replies (other than the mmmm which didn't tell me much ).
Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

chris, i don't know if this is true for everyone, but i have heard some say that bacon is more of a concession than a suggestion. basically, yes, it's better to not eat bacon. but many have such a hard time giving up the high processed carbs, sugar, etc, espeically at breakfast when cereal, toast, bagel, etc is the norm. so if bacon (which is so good with eggs) can help make a person be able to avoid the sugar then go for it. if a person is craving something at night, instead of ice cream eat bacon. basically it's not that you should eat it, just that if it's the worst thing in your diet then you are ok. of course, the same could be said about stuff the paleo people avoid like rice and oats.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
chris, i don't know if this is true for everyone, but i have heard some say that bacon is more of a concession than a suggestion. basically, yes, it's better to not eat bacon. but many have such a hard time giving up the high processed carbs, sugar, etc, espeically at breakfast when cereal, toast, bagel, etc is the norm. so if bacon (which is so good with eggs) can help make a person be able to avoid the sugar then go for it. if a person is craving something at night, instead of ice cream eat bacon. basically it's not that you should eat it, just that if it's the worst thing in your diet then you are ok. of course, the same could be said about stuff the paleo people avoid like rice and oats.
THIS

If bacon is the worst thing you are eating you are doing better than 99.9% of the general population.

On a side note Chris, HMMMMMMM bacon
Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Greg Pack

Profile:

When I saw Chris's name as the thread starter I thought this was going to be a post about a new bacon flavored protein powder, so I'm very disappointed in this thread.

I do remember hearing Robb Wolf explain consumption of bacon in one of his podcasts. He justifies consumption of it because trying to get clients to give up bacon became such a deal breaker. IIRC He said the same thing about balsamic vinegar.