CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Mike Burgener

Profile:
4 yr olds are very visual. here is sage teaching jade, aimee anaya's daughter visually how to snatch!! http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/24185.jpg
Old 05-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
My 4 year-old son watches me workout and comes back outside with a broomstick. Needless to say, 4 year-olds have great form!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I was just in a discussion with a guy who's asking why is "youngsters lifting weights can hamper their development" a myth?

I countered that they are missing out on learning some of the most fundamental PhysEd movements and principles.

Coach B, what is your experience on the subject?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Coach B has plenty of experience. I remember lifting at a meet put on by him with his kids running all over the place, snatching empty bars. I think they were about 5yrs old and younger at the time and already "lifting" and we've seen how much their development has been hampered! :happy:

(Message edited by vgcarp on May 10, 2006)
Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Katie Stapp

Profile:  
Does anyone have or know where to find any more help on getting this snatch technique down? I'm 24...so I guess I'm a little behind your kids! The video is helpful but a written description, step-by-step, or some drills would be great. I can see them doing it and know what it should look like but I'm having trouble turning that around and making my body do the motion, even with really low weight. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Katie;

Google all forms of Olympic lifting technique, Snatch, Clean, see : http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...hSideView.html
This site is huge, alot of data, plus print out the descriptions.
Find a coach or club, there everywhere, just have to seek them out or travel. Think about this, hit Front Squats deep and with weight and perfect form, move to Overhead Squat, then Snatch, wrap with Clean & Jerk, do 3 times per week, toss in some other CF stuff, call it a week, repeat, like forever.

Jay
Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Mike Burgener

Profile:
alex...."youngsters lifting weights can hamper their development" a myth? like anything youngsters lifting weights can hamper their development if taught the incorrect way. i chose to have my kids lift weights because i knew i would teach them the correct way....i chose not to allow them to play pop warner fb because in my opinion i felt that a 7 yr old running around the field of play being told to knock someone jock off while wearing a 10 lb helment on a skinny neck...could in fact hamper their development!! all my children started very young....no pressure, but because they wanted to and they came into the gym to watch the olympians i was training at the time.....that is h ow casey got started....beau, cody and sage...all the same. black box theory all the way.....it worked so i used it!!! go figure!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
Mike Burgener

Profile:
katie, attend a workshop....a cert. if you will....you get 2 days of hands on training!! pvc pipe, bar, weights, video analysis, the whole 9 yards. if that does not work for you, then call me and let me know where you are located and we can find a coach in your area. coach b
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Katie,
You need to start new threads when you have questions that differ from the topic at hand. Otherwise the discussions get way too fragmented.
Thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Robert Dobo

Profile:
I gotta say that is a cute picture, she's got good form too :-)