CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Richard John Evans

Profile:
Paleo and babies

Hi all

This is a request to tap into your knowledge more so than a crossfit specific question.
  • I have a 9 month old baby who is suffering from Eczema.
  • After much research I have decided to take a closer look at her diet.
  • Myself and her mother are very healthy and try and impart this on our baby.
  • However, in our naivety we have thought that a healthy diet is non paleo.
  • My baby has a lot of wheat and dairy milk and I am thinking that apart from this not being healthy for her, it could well be a huge factor with regards to her eczema.
So... as a family we are embracing paleo: here are my questions
  1. Has anyone any experience of feeding a baby / todler in this way?
  2. If so, what sort of meals do you look at (the hardest for us is breakfast which was always porridge or bread based).
  3. I know eggs are a great option, but what else?
  4. We are going to look at goats milk for her milk needs - again any experience?
  5. Where could she get calcium from if we reduce milk?

Any help would be very gratefully received.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Paleo and babies

There was a paleo baby thread over on performancemenu.com a while back. Might be worth sending a pm to Jamila or Dr G. to see how their kids fared on the diet.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=3266 (wfs)
Old 06-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Okay, so 9 months old? A 9 month old needs very little solid food and should have a diet based primarily of breastmilk (preferably) or infant formula. Infant cereal (porridge) has little nutritional value other than being iron fortified, and it is better to get that from real food anyway. Solid foods should be real food (Paleo) and not from a jar. Chicken, beef, veggies, and fruits. I would avoid eggs in a child under 1 year, as they are a common allergy.

In a child under 1 year, plain goat's milk is much less desirable than goat's milk formula. Goat's milk is lacking some of the nutrients that are found in human milk and cow's milk formula.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Gil Butler

Profile:

Go to Robb Wolf.com (WFS) and type in "Kids, Paleo and Nutrient Density"
Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Evans View Post
Hi all

This is a request to tap into your knowledge more so than a crossfit specific question.
  • I have a 9 month old baby who is suffering from Eczema.
  • After much research I have decided to take a closer look at her diet.
  • Myself and her mother are very healthy and try and impart this on our baby.
  • However, in our naivety we have thought that a healthy diet is non paleo.
  • My baby has a lot of wheat and dairy milk and I am thinking that apart from this not being healthy for her, it could well be a huge factor with regards to her eczema.
So... as a family we are embracing paleo: here are my questions
  1. Has anyone any experience of feeding a baby / todler in this way?
  2. If so, what sort of meals do you look at (the hardest for us is breakfast which was always porridge or bread based).
  3. I know eggs are a great option, but what else?
  4. We are going to look at goats milk for her milk needs - again any experience?
  5. Where could she get calcium from if we reduce milk?

Any help would be very gratefully received.
We have fed our baby (now toddler) IAW the WAPF guidelines; they advocate introducing solids after 6 months and traditionally prepared grains, raw milk, cod liver oil, tons of fat, etc for babies. We also eat this way, but limit the grains (sourdough bread once per week, oatmeal once/week, no legumes). So basically, she gets meat, veggies, fruit, raw milk, and fat (coconut milk, butter, etc)...she is thriving.

Egg YOLKS are fine after 6 months...she loves them with grated liver. Now she gets whole eggs.

Check out this link (wfs)...it answers lots of your questions (ie. calcium, eggs, goat milk, etc).

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...nal-foods.html

Last edited by Rene Forestier; 06-05-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Okay, so 9 months old? A 9 month old needs very little solid food and should have a diet based primarily of breastmilk (preferably) or infant formula. Infant cereal (porridge) has little nutritional value other than being iron fortified, and it is better to get that from real food anyway. Solid foods should be real food (Paleo) and not from a jar. Chicken, beef, veggies, and fruits. I would avoid eggs in a child under 1 year, as they are a common allergy.

In a child under 1 year, plain goat's milk is much less desirable than goat's milk formula. Goat's milk is lacking some of the nutrients that are found in human milk and cow's milk formula.
I agree with this, with a small addendum that you can check the labels on jarred food and get a decent quality...though you also can of course make your own.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Primarily breast milk for liquid 'til 2 years old if possible. There's also some research showing that if you have a particular set of genes that NOT doing this will decrease intelligence -- google breast milk and intelligence if you want to look this up.

Otherwise, introducing Paleo foods tends to be fine...

Formulas are garbage. Don't use them. Most baby food is also pure crap. Just mash up real foods and stuff like sweet potatoes if you need stuff.

Last edited by Steven Low; 06-06-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Christie Warner

Profile:

We have a food processor for babies that came with a recipe book and will begin making our own food when the time comes (at 6 months) to introduce solids. It is amazing. You can try sweet potatoes/yams, cooked apple and pear, avocados and bananas. Buy your own fresh ingredients and puree them...along with breast milk, I think that is the perfect situation!

Last edited by Christie Warner; 06-07-2010 at 06:10 AM..