CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Mie Yoshinaga

Profile:
hi- I'm definitely new to crossfit, but I have been consistently going to the gym for the past two years. My original goals were to have fun and get fit. Now that I've started incorporating CF
into my routine (although I only do about 3wod/wk), the workouts are more intense and it's hard to stay motivated sometimes. I thought that i could get a more focused & effective workout if i was training for something. plus, it'd be so much fun to learn a new sport/skill!

some people have suggested sprint triathlon, gymnastics, ultimate frisbee, and I've personally always been curious about rock climbing. I used to play tennis,and run competitively (long and short distance). I'm not so interested in the mainstream sports like basketball, soccer, etc., but i know there's a whole bunch of cool sports that i don't know much about. and i'd like to try something new.

any recommendations?
thanks!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Fencing, martial arts or Olympic lifting.

Personally fencing is the best fun i've ever had. Its mentally challenging, physically demanding in a wide range of aspects (speed, coordination, endurance) and a little esoteric
Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
I agree with Don, my uncle is a fencing instructor and although I suck and havent done it in a while there is something special about suiting up and slapping someone for a sword fight :-)

Give it a go - u may be the next ace fencer!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I'd second fencing. Lots of fun. I also enjoy rec ice hockey, and roller hockey on a sunny day.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Play around and find something that resonates with you. Most of the fun stuff, MA, rock climbing, etc. can be tried with a minimum expense.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I may be biased but... mountain biking is the most fun thing in the entire world. I just turned 33 and that means it's been exactly 20 years since I started, 18 years since I rode my first race, and I'm still obsessed. You can participate at any level and you'll never truly master every aspect of the sport. It's a pretty good time to buy a bike too. Prices are droping, value is going up, and the bikes are designed to take some serious abuse these days.
The other sport I would recomend is Hockey. I know it seems like a typical jock sport, but the thing that most people dont realize is the speed you experience when your on the ice. You'll actually get some pretty high G's in the corners and your pads will give you the power of invincibility. It's also very hard to master, but once you can play hockey everything else will be way easier.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I too was going to say hockey. I started 4 years ago at the age of 40 and am addicted, as are most of my friends. Obviously this is all very personal in terms of what you like, but hockey combines aggression (even non-checking has a lot of contact) with speed (as Motion said) and coordination. I believe there are probably more separate motions to master in hockey than in almost any other sport. Fencing and mountain biking are fun, I'm sure, but hockey has a social dimension as well: you bond with your teammates. I have more friends now than I did for the previous 20 years post-college. I run into people I know all the time from the hockey rink and it even helps in business.

There are also adult courses which are a blast: ranging from a few days to a week. Skate, eat, talk, drink, sleep, then start all over again. And tournaments. Etc.

And it's led me into taking boxing lessons just for those occasional disagreements out on the ice.

The best way to try it is to find a local ice rink where they have an adult clinic. Then ask some friends whether you can borrow their equipment (put a clothespin on your nose before you put it on) for one session. If you're athletic and coordinated, you'd be amazed how quickly you can learn it.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Motion Macivor

Profile:
yeah beers in the locker room... I forgot to mention that. I started when I was 28. You really can start any time.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Motion Macivor

Profile:
PS
lots of girls play hockey too!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
David Sailor

Profile:
I actually approached it from the other direction: I'm an avid volleyball and soccer player looking to stay competitive within the groups I play with. I'm 43 y/o and mostly play against people in their 20's so anything to stay competitive was important to me. I have always lifted weights in a more traditonal manner but it never really seemed to make a difference, other than maintaining bulk. A year and a half ago, I got tackled during a soccer game resulting in a grade 3 shoulder separation which sidelined everything for awhile. When I was able to start back up, I really didn't have much interest in getting back into weightlifting like I had previously; first of all it wasn't possible due to the injury and secondly, it seemed somewhat pointless as it had not proven to be beneficial to my particular sports.
I continued to lift, mainly to rehab the shoulder and was able to start to play soccer and vball again. I came here after the Men's Journal article a few months ago and feel like this is nirvana. Crossfit is the perfect supplement to me for what I do. It is scalable so I can work around my games and tournaments yet more than demanding enough to make me "fitter" than I've ever been. For me, this is it.
So to bring this all around, I love to play sports first but Crossfit is what fills in the rest of my physical wellness.

David