CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
Has the idea of a Crossfit book ever been thrown around? I love to read, and when I go to look at the workout books in the bookstore they are the mostly the same old isolated bodybuilding type workouts. It would be cool to bring crossfit to the general public. Just thought I'd throw that out there, see if anyone else thought of that before.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I think it's a good idea but the problem is that crossfit is a living breathing thing that is evolving pretty rapidly. It would be difficult to write a definitive book and perhaps undesirable.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
get all the journals and read them, a ton (literally) of information on them
Old 05-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
While it does seem to be evolving, the foundation is supremely solid enough to form a book.

What I mean is, are we looking back on the first CFJ and saying things are different now than then? I personally don't think so!

Compiling the information into one source would eliminate a lot of the basic questions on the website (and make some people some $$ in the process).

Especially an e-book first, hard copy later.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
The CrossFit Journals are now 460+ pages on pdf format. I think the draft is already here. Just needs an index, Table of Contents and some editiing.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
The journals are good for those who already practice crossfit, but for mainstream it would be better to have compilation of the information. I would love to have something similar to the journals all in one. It also be a great refrence material to show friends to promote crossfits benefits.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
Justin Algera

Profile:
I get the journals, and would still love a book. I try to read as much as I can, and always love learning more, and the whatever I can do to help CF out more, I'm always for.
With that, what are some other books out there that are worth checking out that follow similar themes, or would at least help with the exercises that we do here?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Ryan - I am working on how to put a book together that won't just be a complation of journals. I want to address the history of how this all got started, the theory, the people, the affiliates, testimonials...in fact, input from everyone as to what you wold like to see in the book would be appreciated. It will be mostly for the CrossFit community but will also serve as a handbook for the uninformed as well. Big project. Expect some requests for info from many of you out there.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Eugene, I'm glad you have already started looking into getting a Crossfit book put together. I've read most of your notes and I'm looking forward to see what you can do with a published work.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
What I was thinking of:
Section 1:
Ch 1. How cross fit started?...
Ch 2. Philosiphy behind crossfit? Why we do the things we do
Ch 3. Testimonials/ Uses: examples of peoples improvement using crossfit, maybe comparing to other training methods. Also examples of uses in different fields military/ Police/ MMA...

Section 2: Basics of Workouts
Ch 4. Olympic Lifts
Ch 5. Power Lifts
Ch 6. Gymnastics/ Bodyweight Lifting
Ch 7. Medicine Ball/ Kettlebells
Ch 8. Running: Sprints/ Med./ and Long Distance

Section 3: Additional Info
Ch 9. Diet info on Paleo/ Zone
Ch 10. Other applications of activities I've seen posted that could be incorporated with a crossfit style ( outdoor sports: biking, swiming, adventure racing,rock climbing, gymnastics, yoga, clubbell, MMA styles...)
Ch.11 Starting a home gym to do crossfit

This is just stuff I would like to know more about, and have as a reference. What does this look like compared to what you have Eugene. I'm curios as to other info people would like to see.