CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Mike McGee

Profile:
Re: What to do with mandatory PT in the AM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Everts View Post
I'm in ROTC, and they are having us PT monday through friday, early in the morning of course. When we do PT it isn't an optimal workout, and is hard to program a workout around. In a perfect world I would be doing something like Military athlete/SEAl fit/ CFE, etc. But since I've got PT in the morning, doing a long, grueling workout in the evening can be thrown off by PT in the morning, and it just isn't a good situation all around.

Any ideas on how I should program my workouts around a hectic PT schedule?

I was thinking of doing the PT in the morning, and focusing on one or two things for an evening workout, like METCON, APFT work, strength work, and running/rucking. So I would go to PT in the AM and in the evening I would do a workout of Push ups, sit ups, and finish with a METCON.
I was in the same situation, morning PT, when I started CrossFit. I actually just did morning PT and then the main page WOD in the afternoon. I had a good 8-12 hrs to recover, especially since the morning PT was just body weight exercises, not weights. What kind of long, grueling workouts are you doing in the evening? The average CrossFit WOD is give or take 15-20 mins long, not counting skill work?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
Lauren Gardner

Profile:

My husband heads up the PT for his squad so he has to do it everyday with them. He does the normal PT he's set for his squad in addition to what the CF W.O.D is. Sometimes he'll incorporate the W.O.D into the PT routine, sometimes he can't do that and has to do it separately. It's all on how you physically feel and what kind of PT schedule you follow. For example, monday was a 5mile run and then he did FRAN right after. Recovery is definitely essential though and if you feel too tired you should not try and do both.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
Mike Wright

Profile:

I am 35 and in the AF. I have mandatory AM PT M-W-F, getting ready to switch to M-F. I get to the gym 45 min prior, usually enough to get strength work and a short WOD. PT is actually more productive once I am thouroughly warmed up.

On occasion, I only have enough time to get EITHER a strength session or a short WOD before PT. In this case, I just put a WOD after PT. In essence, use the PT sessions like a thourough warm-up. With so much volume, you end up going 80-90% over several events, rather than 90-100% for one event. This may or may not be acceptable to you, depends on your goals. Given your parameters, it may help you deal with the volume and go to the gym once a day rather than two.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #14
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright View Post
I am 35 and in the AF. I have mandatory AM PT M-W-F, getting ready to switch to M-F. I get to the gym 45 min prior, usually enough to get strength work and a short WOD. PT is actually more productive once I am thouroughly warmed up.

On occasion, I only have enough time to get EITHER a strength session or a short WOD before PT. In this case, I just put a WOD after PT. In essence, use the PT sessions like a thourough warm-up. With so much volume, you end up going 80-90% over several events, rather than 90-100% for one event. This may or may not be acceptable to you, depends on your goals. Given your parameters, it may help you deal with the volume and go to the gym once a day rather than two.
Man I gotta switch to the airforce if pt is only mandatory M-W-F xD
Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
Mike McGee

Profile:

Yeah the Air Force is getting hardcore. They even hired civilians to be the graders on PT tests.