CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
Eric L Thomas

Profile:
I have taken creatine a few times (initially to write a project for a biology class) in the past few years and for the most part, I believe it was working properly. I felt stronger and looked bigger. But then again, it might have just been a psychological thing. Interesting report. I wish that information was around 2 1/2 years ago when I had done my own research.

I had to get off it because I just didn't have the funds available. So for now, I think I'm going to aim for a more natural approach.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:32 PM   #12
Guest2

Profile:

Creatine seems to be one of those things that works wonders for a small segment of the population (of whom I'm rather envious) and does nothing beyond add water weight to the rest of us.

I agree with Albert that it's worth trying, but don't waste too much time or money with it if you're truly not getting results.

Speaking as someone who used a huge assortment of supplements for years, but who has made far more progress in the last year with nothing but fish oil and the Zone (Paleo style), I'm convinced that supplements are exactly what the term suggests: supplemental. I'd recommend getting your nutrition in order with whole foods as much as possible, and only use supplements to fill gaps remaining due to time constraints with cooking/preparing real food.

I've never seen any magic happen even with wonder supplements like creatine, HMB, prohormones, etc. I have, however, seen enormous progress with properly dialed nutrition and training.

To conclude a turgid post that should have been two sentences, I'd resist the urge to supplement until you've maxed out with your foundational nutrition and training. You'll save a huge amount of money for one thing, and more importantly, you'll be able to genuinely evaluate any problems and correct them properly.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Most of my creatine enamorment has NOTHING to do with performance enhancement but rather beneficial effects on blood lipids, antinflamation, and protection against neurodegenartive decline. I happen to be one of those non-responders from the strength/power perspective but it is cheap and easy to use and MIGHT be very healthy in the long run.
Robb
Old 03-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #14
Mark Stephens

Profile:  
I took creatine - and it definitely seemed to work for me. True a lost some pound after I took it, and a bit of strength... but I definitely felt much healthier while on it than I do now. I am going to begin taking creatine that is mixed into a protein powder and contains glutamine and other supps. The product is known as MYO MAX. I have a question, if I were to start taking this supplement - should I take it everyday or only after I work out with weights. I run 5 or 6 days a week and workout 3 times a week. I've been wondering this for some time now... any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #15
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Mark,

I just take a table spoon full in my juice every morning. I never have done any type of loading phase. However, I have not taken any creatine for a month now. And I have not experienced any loss in performance or muscle mass.

As a side note, while I was taking creatine my blood pressure went up to 140/90. Now that I have been off it for about a month my last blood pressure check was back to 120/80. I do not know if there is any correlation between the two and I have not been able to find any studies that demonstrate a correlation. Many factors could cause this jump in my blood pressure.

I also just take the pure creatine monohydrate. I think the brand is NOW.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #16
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Albert - I had the same issue with my blood pressure and creatine except it went up into dangerously high numbers (190/130). To make sure it was the creatine and not something else, I tried introducing creatine into my diet on three different occasions. It was suggested that one possibility was the brand I was using and my reaction might be to a filler or something so the last time I tried with a different brand.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Beth,

That is interesting and unfortunate. I am going to give it a try one more time in May. If it happens again I will just give up on it.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #18
David Heyer

Profile:
I tried it and only had problems. Frequent trips to the Latrine and nose bleeds(probably from increased blood pressure). No positive results.

Dave
Old 03-24-2005, 11:17 PM   #19
Jay Ashman

Profile:
Try Kre-Alkalyn by Sci-Fit.

It's a different form of creatine that I found works pretty well.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #20
Bill Byrnell

Profile:  
Beth

I had exactly the same problem with creatine. I was in for my annual checkup and my blood pressure was throught the roof. Very scary since I have always had numbers on the lower end of the scale due to years of intensive training.
I went through lots of tests to check for kidney damage and we came up with nothing. I researched creatine on a number of sports medecine sites and found a number of people with the same thing happening to them. I went off creatine right away and within a week my numbers were back to normal.
I also found out that two out of three universitys that previously used creatine for their atheletes were now reccomending to no longer use it.
I should have saved the sites but I was quite stressed about it all at the time. I searched with google and kept looking for anything about creatine and kidney stress.
I hope this will help someone else so they will not have to go through what I did for a month!