CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Eric L Thomas

Profile:
Hello,
I'm new to the forums and so far I've really liked the atmosphere. Everyone seems really friendly and knowledgeable.

I'm a 20 year old university student and I'm trying to improve my overall fitness. I've been weightlifting since I was about 15, but nothing too serious until last year. One thing I've always noticed is that I can be a little stiff. I really want to improve how quick I can move when it comes to playing sports. I'm hoping I can do that with CrossFit. I found this place a few days ago and I've already subscribed to the newsletter. It seems like this new routine (for me) will really shock my body and get it moving like it never has.

I have a question. Are there any back issues that anyone would suggest reading for someone like me just learning about CrossFit? I'd like to do all the reading I can but I'd rather buy a few at a time instead of dropping lots of money all at once.

Anyways, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm young, but hopefully I could help some people out with the experiences I've had. Great site, I plan to stick around.

Take care!
Eric
Old 03-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Jerry Kunitzky

Profile:  
Eric,

Welcome!!! I am 42 and I can tell you that Crossfit is making me feel your age. It not only helps your body but I find that I am sharper at work. I just returned from a Memorial Service for 4 fallen RCMP officers. Being in top physical condition is just one way to try and keep yourself safe.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Eric, welcome.

It's hard to tell you what issues to buy. Look over the list and see what issues will best address your needs. I personally knew I was going to start getting my own equipment, so the Garage Gym issue was one of my first. I also have the issues concerning The Moves, Handstand, Warm up, The Clean, Deadlift plus the last 3 since I became a subscriber. Your needs may be different, but they're all excellent. I'll eventually get them all.

Make sure you have the two free downloads What is Fitness and Foundations.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Eric L Thomas

Profile:
Thanks for the welcome!

Jerry - I'm definitely looking to reach my top physical condition. Being sharper at any activities I do is for sure a plus.

William - Thanks for the insight. I still can't find the Foundations PDF, but I'll keep looking.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-foundtn.html
Old 03-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Sonia Ng

Profile:

Good to see some Canadians on the board. Jerry-I know what you speak of.Bloody awful what happened. Cheers all.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
Eric L Thomas

Profile:
Wow.

I finally started the WOD, and all I can say is wow. Some of the results I read are amazing, I only hope I can get there. I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first, thinking I would be the odd person who could jump into the routine easily. However, I would like to officially state that with all the strength I thought I had, Cindy has destroyed me. I couldn't do it any longer than 10 minutes. A little disappointing, but it gives me major goals.

Just curious, to anyone, how long did it take you to get into the swing of things? It won't stop me from pushing harder next workout, I just wanted to get a rough idea. I think it may take me quite some time.

It was quite a shocker. I can't wait for a second chance.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Eric, it took me 9 months to be able to sustain 3 on 1 off as prescribed...like you I thought I was fit. It ain't where you start it's where you end up!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Eric,

I'm on my second week of the WODs as posted and i've been very quickly humbled by them.

It's not like i was a slug to start with either as i'm a full time fitness trainer!

Give it a few weeks and you will start to see some rapid improvements.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Took me 6 months to do all wod's as rxed.