CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Neal, got any authors, sites or programs you recommend re: dynamic flexibility?

Reading around, it looks like I can do a drop-in visit free to a local Bikram instructor. I'll try anything once.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Neal Winkler

Profile:
"Magnificent Mobility" is really good.
It focuses mainly on the lower body but it gives a couple upper body exercises as well.

http://www.magnificentmobility.com/ (w/f safe)

Then their's "Inside-Out: The Ultimate
Upper Body Warm-up." I have not viewed this but I've heard good things. This one focuses on the upper body.

www.inside-out-warm-up.com (w/f safe)

Too bad they are really expensive.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
I agree this is not a question for this group. Just research the past topics on Yoga. Its all there in black and white.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Once again, it's a perfectly fine question for this group. There is an incredibly broad base of fitness and exercise experience here; why on earth would this not be legit?

Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I've been an avid yoga practioner the past four years. This quest came after a series of injuries, one of which resulted in reconstructive surgery to my right elbow (tricep tendon rupture).

I follow no named yoga. I perform sun salutations daily. I also perform various upper body poses prior to and after my upper body weight training sessions. Beyond that, I perform various lower body poses prior to and after my lower body weight training sessions.

I've taken classes, but I grew bored because I wanted more dynamic movements. Neal's suggestion of magnficant mobility is very similar to what I perform. But mine's different. It's specialized to my troublesome areas. I also incorporate bagwa and tai chi into these routines for the fluidity that my sport requires.

Don't know if any of this helps?

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
Jim Glover

Profile:
Doing Yoga is a prime example of me not following my own advice.

When I do a short 20 to 45 minute Yoga session before bed I sleep better and my hips and shoulders feel like new.

But I don't do it because by the time I get off work all I want to do is have a cold beer and crash.

Gotta cut back on the cold beer.

I use workouts out of Diamond Dallas Page's Yoga for Regular Guys. A nice no nonsense ground based program that will make you feel like a champ.

I'm looking into either purchasing Magnificent Mobility or the Parisi Warm Up DVD's real soon since I read in an article that as you age the less you work your hip and shoulder mobility the more you loose even if you are active.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
My sister in law owns a Yoga studio here in Jacksonville. I have gone a couple of times. It's a mix of Bikram and something else, 94 degrees in the room a ton of pushups...good workout. Real relaxing. I would recommend it, it's not like it's going to hurt you.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
Michael Tong

Profile:
Perfect timing for me to see a thread on yoga.

I just started this morning with that yoga show on the Oxygen channel - it's called "Inhale." It runs at 6:00 am EST here in Columbus, OH.

Don't know why yoga would be a bad thing. The show is a hour long and I was sweating at 30 minutes. Still not sure why static stretching is bad. I assume that is why some CFers don't agree with yoga.

I cannot comfortably bend forward and touch my toes so I thought some more time dedicated to stretching would help.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Joshua Kemper

Profile:
Yoga and CrossFit are not mutually exclusive pursuits, in my mind.

Yoga can be great as mobility drills before the WOD. I mean, really, the samson stretch in the warmup is almost exactly the same as Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior 1)! Just reserve static asanas for post-workout and use the dynamic asanas linked into a "flow" where you are nearly constantly moving your body through its complete ROM and matching your breathing to each movement. Most of the mobility drills I have seen are clearly modeled off of asanas. Yoga is absolutely fantastic as breathing exercise to help you become aware of and train the connection between your body's movements and your breath. Yoga is very much a question for this group, in my opinion... dynamic stretching warmups are good, right? Breath control is great for metcons, right?

While in any asana, you use breathing (ujjayi breath, among others) to allow your muscles to relax while still producing tension in a pose.

Try going through this sun salutation sequence 5 to 10 times quickly, but with a graceful, fluid control as you link the postures together and match your inhaling and exhaling to the move between each posture, as shown in the linked picture.

If you have the chance to go to a free class or practice with a friend, try it out! Deep squats are encouraged, and there are some asanas that will improve your OHS, guaranteed.

Doing yoga on a rest day is a great active recovery!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #20
Joshua Kemper

Profile:
Oh, sorry! Above link is work/family safe!