CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
So i have my clients generally warm up with dynamic stretches for 10 - 15 minutes. Then we usually do one of the crossfit workouts which will last generally around 20 minutes. Which leaves us with 25 more minutes left in the session. I am a little lost on what to do with the remaining time in the session. What would you guys suggest?

Background info: 95% of my clients come to my twice a week looking to lose body fat and gain functional fitness...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
After I brief rest, they could work on basic movement patterns like squat form or clean and jerk and snatch, handstands, ect.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Fundamental gymnastics techniques should be done before a WOD when fresh especially handstands.

I would say send them on HIIT sprints... if they're really not that winded, heh. Or up the intensity of the WOD by using heavier weights.

Along with basic movement patterns with the oly lifts like Neal suggested you should also have them work on their flexibility. Good stretching is done after a workout anyway.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Technique, technique, technique. Gymnastics, O-lifts, squatting ... stretching would be good too...
Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Charles,

For what it's worth, I structure my client sessions backward using the estimated WOD time. If we've got an hour, and I know the WOD takes 25 minutes, I plan on ten minutes of warm-up and twenty minutes of technique/strength coaching, followed by the 25-minute WOD.

The problem is this: most clients assume that they've achieved the bulk of what they're going to achieve when the WOD is done. You get less-than-stellar effort for the remainder of the session, intentional or not.

We spend the pre-WOD time doing gymnastics or o-lifting for the most part. Sometimes we do a pre-WOD metacon effort, like 50 wallball shots for time. This diminishes the quality of the WOD, but helps increase client work capacity in the long run.

If you are stuck with too much time at the end, make it fun. Team relays are always popular, as are classic finishers such as ab work, farmer's walks, etc. Low-skill is a prereq here. Make it a contest, but make it silly. Most consecutive tire flips, etc. Just keep them moving and laughing.

Good luck!

Best,

Jon
Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I sort of do what Jon does. Although it really depends on the client and what they need. Sometimes, I'll have them stretch for a while. Sometimes abwork. Sometimes, it's good to give notes after the workout and give them ideas of what they did right and wrong in the workout. For example if they maxed out on the first set of pullups and then couldn't lift themselves anymore. I'll coach them on the importance of doing sub maximal efforts and take more frequent but shorter rests.

Sometimes if it's a real short workout, I might make them do a little "cardio".

Old 01-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Mobility and ROM movements and light core work.Yoga Flows and breathing techniques.

But as said it depends on the client whether its one to one or small group and whether we are working towards specific goals.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
STRETCH!!!! Post WOD is the perfect time for your clients to gain flexibility. If you have the time use it.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
First let me start off by thanking everyone here for contributing there insider information to help me. I am very grateful to be apart of this board and surrounded by the knowledge of all of you.

Second, some of the ideas here are great! my only problem is i dont have access to some of the ideas. Like the tire flips and such. Also all of my clients (besided the athletes that i train from the local high school) are individual. So relay races of the sort would be out the question due to not enough participants. Almost all of these clients are over the age of 30 and have some kinda of joint prob. Whether is be from arthritisis or just plain ole bad knees or such. So runnning at times can be difficult.

Also would practicing olyimpic lifts be all the great of help if i dont have oly bars. I have access to weighted pcp pipes and such. I have also found that clients seem to complain when there not "training" the whole 60 mins. I have tried explaining to them how important stretching, cooling down and warming up are. Almost as important if not more than the actual workout due to the fact of injury could be the cause if not properly cooled down or warmed up. So whats the best way to explain to them that the last 20 minutes we'll be doing static stretching? Maybe even finish up with an "ab workout". i am not sure yet. I'll certainlt take everyones advice and try to formulate a plan of action here. If anyone else has more advice or ideas it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again to everyone!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I don't see that you need a lot of explanation. Warmup, WOD, Stretch, Period. Get them doing it. If they aren't down with it, then trick them into it, but get it done.

You're the boss. They're paying you to tell them what to do. I would front load the skills into the beginning of the workout/warmup phase. Do the WOD, let them recover and then cool them down with some stretching. You can give notes and stuff while stretching too. Like I said you can do some light cardio or abwork at the end too. Be creative and give them what you think they need.