CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Andy Smith

Profile:
Re: Mats for garage gym

Thanks for the helpful posts. I still have a couple questions though...should I put the squat cage directly on the horse stall mats? When I perform squats, dead lifts, or some other heavy lift, is it okay to be standing on the mats, or should I be standing on another, more solid surface? Do I really need to build the Olympic platform, or can I just double up the mats on the area where the lifts will be performed? Is it beneficial to buy cheaper mats for the areas where I won't be lifting or dropping weight, but just doing general exercises (sit-ups, pushups, getups, etc…)? Also, for all the mats, should the floor be treated in some way before putting them down, or just laid down on a clean surface? The area has the typical concrete garage flooring. Thanks for everyone’s help.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Andy, I would just put the mats down covering the floor, then put your equipment on top. The rubber has some give to it, but it won't compress that much, after all its made for livestock. I plan on doing oly lifts right on the rubber mats when fix up my garage. I am going to paint my garage floor first, but thats just me. I'd make sure it isn't damp or dirty though, like no oil spills. The oly platform would be nice, but I don't think its necessary for crossfit work. But again, if you plan on regularly dropping your barbell get solid rubber bumper plates.

Last edited by Dave Hancock; 03-31-2008 at 07:46 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
Rick Frazier

Profile:

Andy,

> should I put the squat cage directly on the horse stall mats?

As Dave said, just put the mats on the floor and put equipment on top of it.

> is it okay to be standing on the mats, or should I be standing on another, more solid surface?

Do you "need" a platform? No, you can work out without one, performing all your lifts standing on the mats. The platform is designed to extend the life of your equipment by absorbing the impact of dropped weights as well as give you a clean, non-slip area to lift from. Nice to have and I would recommend building one, but you can get by without it.

> Is it beneficial to buy cheaper mats for the areas where I won't be lifting

Beneficial only in the fact that you won't spend as much money. I personally use stall mats to cover the entire floor of our garage. That way there is no drama with trying to jigsaw mats in this area or that area, or having to restrict myself to lifting only "here".

> should the floor be treated in some way before putting them down, or just laid down on a clean surface?

Just clean the floor and lay 'em down.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Andy Smith

Profile:

Excellent. Thanks for the information everyone. I should be buying some mats to get started soon.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Chad Skola

Profile:

Well the stall mats here in Utah are 44.99 4x6x3/4. I think I need 8 of them to get started that leaves me on spot for plywood. I kinda wish i did not fall upon this thread. Now I am going to spend $359 I was not planning on.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
George Zegas

Profile:

I called a local horse stall supply store and they gave me two options:

1. 4x6 & 3/4" higher dense mat, smooth surface on both sides, 110lbs...$59

2. 4x6 & 3/4" not as dense but strong, pebble surface, 85lbs...$45

I'm trying to save as much as possible but don't want to buy the wrong product. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM   #17
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Zegas View Post
I called a local horse stall supply store and they gave me two options:

1. 4x6 & 3/4" higher dense mat, smooth surface on both sides, 110lbs...$59

2. 4x6 & 3/4" not as dense but strong, pebble surface, 85lbs...$45

I'm trying to save as much as possible but don't want to buy the wrong product. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
It depends on how bumpy the pebble surface is and how smooth the smooth is. Is the smooth slick especially if it gets wet, like sweat drops? Is the pebble large enough to make footing unstable when lifting weights? If the pebble surface is small enough and would help prevent slipping and doesn't compress too much it sounds good. Since its made for livestock, I doubt it compress too much.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
Sean Schade

Profile:

Stall mats were one of the best purchases I made. I had 12x6 area in my basement for my gym, and three mats fit perfectly in the space. They are heavy, and will last forever.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
Alex J. Perez

Profile:

ok so ive been spraying 1:5 germicidal bleach:water on my mats( about 4 squirts per mat) and using a dry swiffer to spread it, after i let it dry and we go back on the mats they feel oily, and we even get more black rub off on our skin than before. i know detergents will, in the long run, ruin the mats so what should i use to clean them since we do a lot of barefoot work on them.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
Victor Myers

Profile:

I have just redone my garage as well and I'm thinking about flooring. I'm going to look into horse stall mats but I'm from Jersey, not too many suppliers around here.

What about wrestling mats? I imagine that it is too soft for olympic lifts but I already have a mat in my basement. I'm thinking about cutting out a decent piece and throwing it down in my garage.