CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I'd have to say that 99% of all rec golfers don't bother doing anything but playing the game.

I think it's silly that you'd play the "golfers play for 40 years with little improvement" card. I've heard that in several places in the last couple weeks, so it must be one of the "hot" quotations from somewhere.

All I'm pointing out is the vast majority of golfers half-*** it. Even the pros tend to coast on their inborn talent.

I'm not saying anything can improve indefinitely, which is why the Japanese concept of Kaizen, as westerners understand it, is so misleading, but I am saying that, in most cases, the reason for no improvement is because they are going through the motions and not seeking to improve.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
bill fox

Profile:

Steve

I thought I was being incredibly clever with the golf analogy, I didn't hear it anywhere. Unfortunate I picked golf, which you seem to have a "thing" about, but it's true of EVERY sport. Most adults do all sports "recreationally", and suck. People ask me why I don't play tennis "for fun" anymore. Because for me it's not fun to suck.

I think I understand what you were saying, it just didn't have much to do with what I was saying, which was simply that there's nothing "in" CF that's different then any "real" sport. Improvement is easy at first, then harder.

You can then go "outward" and seek something to apply CF to, perfectly legit, or as the concept of Kaizen actually implies, you just go "inward" and draw "it" out of the training itself.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Mike Quon

Profile:
I think people place too much emphasis on quantitative progression. "My bench press has only improved 5 lbs. in the past month!" And then they panic and begin to over analyze. Most people seem to have this imbedded mentality that they must get from point A to point Z as quickly as possible, which is understandable when it comes to a lot of real life matters but fitness is a whole different story. The battle to get from A to B to F is what matters to me and truthfully, I'll never know when/if I'll make it to Z but that's what will keep me going.

I'm 26 years old and I train using XFit guidelines (short, hard, fast and mix). If between the ages of 40 and 50 my deadlift only goes up 1 pound it won't really matter because I'll be willing to bet that I can do a whole lot of things other 50 year olds can't and that's my greatest form of progress right there. Don't forget that as you age, you're going against the aging process, it's important to remember that when you're trying to guage progress.

When I am in a mental/physical rut I follow Dan John's advice he got from thrower Fortune Gordien. And that is "When things go bad, simplify."
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
bill fox

Profile:

Good stuff Mike.

The motto of the 46 year old "elite" athlete...

"I change by not changing at all"

Pearl Jam
Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #15
Michael Forge

Profile:
Just to clarify the point of my original post: I was not suggesting that CrossFit is ineffective as a core training method, or that one couldn't continue to progess on it indefinitely. I was just saying that, personally, when I reach the point where progress can only come in very small increments and the workouts no longer seem novel, I get bored, and/or burnt out, and start craving something new and different again. Even CrossFit, with all its variety, eventually feels like a routine. And there is a sameness in that it's always high intensity level. For me, reincorporating other workout styles instead of focusing exclusively on this one style has leant more balance and variety to my training.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #16
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Just like anything you choose to do in life, you get out what you put in. Example: By time, full range of motion, maybe weight and always pushing yourself to your limits. Take a pull-up possible progression. 1-To chin, 2-Chest, 3-Abs, 4-clapping, 5-Bar Muscle-up, 6-Bar Muscel-up with a dip etc..... its never ending. Sorry blah,blah,blah.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
David Wood

Profile:

Hmmm . . .

Well, my only remaining athletic ambition is to be able to ski (recreationally) moderately well. For me, that means being able to do a reasonably long mogul run without running out of gas.

CrossFit is almost the perfect training regimen for such a goal. The only SPP training I do (other than the little bit of on-snow time I get each year) is that I add more box jumps (particularly side-to-side jumps over a bench) in the fall.

As such, I don't think I've done a "non-CrossFit" workout in three years or so (it helps that CrossFit is so flexible; I can go for a run with my daughter the high school cross-country runner and still call it CrossFit). I certainly haven't done anything even remotely resembling the body-building style or LSD training I used to do.

Despite this lack of variety outside CF, I continue to hit PRs in various "non-CF" metrics, particularly the powerlifting ones (e.g., 405 in DL at a BW of 158).

Works for me; right now (3 years in), I think it's likely to continue to work for another, oh, 40 years or so.

Edit (added): I should acknowledge that my work / business schedule pretty much guarantees that I will miss at least one, sometimes two WODs each week. It also pretty much ensures that I will have to take a week off at least once every 10 weeks or so . . . not always at the time I would like, but I *do* get that "back-off" week and I don't do the WOD every single day. This may have something to do with my lack of "burnout".
Old 05-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Michael,

I'm familiar with the feeling you're describing.

For me, the solution was to begin competing in olympic weightlifting. Now, I can look at every single repetition of competition lift or assitance exercise as one with improvement, integrity, victory in what I've devoted myself to. For me, difference between thinking, 'hmm, this exercise is good for me and occasionally exhilirating,' and, 'This rep of back squat decides whether I snatch 5 more kilos--THIS REP!' is the difference between being bored and being focused in the gym.

Of course, for you it might be the rowing stroke or the stride of the sprint that you're willing to invest yourself in, or a ping-pong serve. :wink: But directing my training towards 'showing up' and putting up at a meet has really brought a focus to training that was never there before, even though I was quite serious about it before.

(Message edited by Orestes122484 on May 18, 2006)
Old 05-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nothing earthshaking here IMO. the CF style WOD's are awesome. Doing 1 day of Olifts, 1 day of gymnastics and 1 day of clasic track sprint work (then a day or two off...repeat) is great as well (what I'm currently doing).

End-all-be-all's may or may not actually exist but complete perceptual shifts can leave one with the feeling that they have always done thingsd "this way" when in reality they have been forever changed.

If that last piece makes no sense try saying it again in a Yoda-esque voice and things will click.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #20
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Man, pretty significant topic when we get TWO moderators pitching in!

Like David, at 46 I've adapted pretty limited and reasonable athletic goals. Also like David my major goal is snow related. I simply want to be able to be on the same hill at the same time with my sons while skiing or boarding. Some other athletic goal may arise, but CF appears to be THE means to this particular end. I can't imagine any athletic activity that I will engage in at this stage of my life that won't be enhanced by the underlying effect of CF.

But as a newbie CF is very much an end in itself. There is certainly too much for me to master technically right now, too may new movements and combinations of movements for boredom to set in. However, I found CF during a search prompted by intense boredom with my previous workout scheme and part of me understands the sentiment of Michael's oringinal post. Since I've come to CF on the downward slope of my physical potential it is unlikely that I will ever fail to find a challenge worth accepting somewhere in the WOD. For me CF is likely to ba BOTH a means and an end. I guess one way to look at the question, Michael, is whether CF has a place as a means to some end now that it doesn't feel as central for you.