CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
George Zegas

Profile:
Building a Platform

Hey All!

I'm taking the plunge and will be setting up my garage as a home gym. I've already ordered my bumpers...can't wait!

The next step, this weekend, is to build a platform. I've read many of the threads regarding the planning and structure of the platform. I'm leaning towards 5 sheets of plywood and 1 sheet of rubber (everything screwed in). However, I got to thinking...why not just use 3 sheets of plywood instead? Are 5 sheets used to hold the platform together better, less noise?

Has anyone made a platform with just the 3 sheets?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
John Kolody II

Profile:
Re: Building a Platform

3 vs. 5 Depends on the sizew of the rubber mats that are available to you.

5 Sheets - an 8x8 platform, 2 sheets on the bottom, 2 on the second layer, going the other direction, the last sheet goes in the cenetr, (usually high grade cabinet ply) then that leaves you with 2 2x8 sections to cover with rubber, you could also find one piece 8x8 rubber, and eliminate the top peice of ply. Listed one website below.

3 Sheets - an 8x6 platform (very popular for the home garage or basement gym), 1st step cut one in half to create 2 2x8 pieces of ply. 1st layer lay done a sheet and a half to create a 8x6 platform. Lay the next layer down staggering the joints. Top layer get 2 4x6 stall mats to cover the whole platform

1 or 2 Sheets - an 8x4 platform (did power cleans in highschool on these), if space is very limited, lay down 1 1" thick piece of ply, or 2 3/4" of whatever you get, then lay down 8x4 mat of rubber. These would be source usually from a fittness or sporting place and not a feed and livestock place so the rubber gets pricey! www.biggerfasterstronger.com (WFS) in Utah, the 4x8 rubber is steep in price.

Glue and screw, screws only, glue only. I used screws only, I live in Los Angeles area, so weather is not a big deal (lumber shrinkage or expansion). If you glue it don't plan on moving it, its just too heavy. It's up to you.

Look at your space, availability of materials, and budget, and make your choice. The 6x8 is very common, due to the availability and relative affordability of 4x6 stall mats.

Hope this helps.

JK
Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

What? You can make an 8x8 with 3 sheets and one stall mat just fine. It's what I have in my garage for weekend workouts.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../080318014.jpg
Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Michael Drew

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
What? You can make an 8x8 with 3 sheets and one stall mat just fine. It's what I have in my garage for weekend workouts.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../080318014.jpg
Thats a great design man. Thats a 4X6 stall mat?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
George Zegas

Profile:

Thanks for the info...why not just use three 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and one 4 x 8 sheet of rubber?

Lay 2 sheets side by side

Lay next sheet in the middle

Cut rubber mat in half and add to each side of the plywood.

Wouldn't this give me a 8 x 8 box?

Why use an extra row of two sheets? I know it costs more...does an extra row of plywood softent the sound? Is this the only benefit?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
John Kolody II

Profile:

No real reseason to use 5 it is just a design available at 1ronmind.com WFS.

You could use 3, you could try using 1 1/2 to build a 8x6 it would be tough to keep them together. I have just always seen most platforms made with two layers of wood. There could be some noise reduction but there's no way to tell.

Personally I liked the idea of bringing the thickness of my platform up to the thickness of the bottom rails of my squat rack and then build an extra smaller platform for inside the rack.

Personal preference, and wanting to use $45-$50 for something else.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
Thats a great design man. Thats a 4X6 stall mat?
Given that the middle top is a full sheet of plywood, assuming 8'x4', the stall mat looks to be a 8'x6' split in half. Plus a 4'x1' section of plywood at each end of the rubber mat. But I could be wrong.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
Armin Heravi

Profile:

For those who have built platforms, what thickness are you using on the rubber mat? is it just a standard 1/4"?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
Eric J John

Profile:

I went w/ 4 plywood (15/32") and an oak (3/4")top. No one tells you that standard stall mats are 4'X6', so you'll need to get two if you go the entire length of your platform. I stained mine with ebony stain and sealed it with acrylic. Ebony looks great, until you start standing on it with dirty shoes. As for going with only 3 sheets, I wouldn't know, but I think it would work if you use enough screws.