CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Mike Higuchi

Profile:
Re: Using Crossfit to train for a marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian O'Neill View Post
Thats settled it
CF all the way (with a bit of extra running).

I'll report back in April.

Thanks guys for the help
Hey Brian - just one more data point for you - I ran my first marathon last month (Long Beach) with virtually NO RUNNING for about three months. (I *hate* running). It was a self-challenge kinda thing, but I pretty much ignored all the WODs that had a running component and just did other stuff. Apart from the normal WODs, my "aerobic" training consisted of one or two one-hour mountain bike rides per week.

My finishing time was 4:27, but I'm pretty sure I could have cut off about 15 minutes with better pacing at the beginning. I was scared of going out too fast and not finishing, but I think I actually went too slow (~10-minute miles all the way through).

Whatever you do, though, rest assured that Crossfit is an awesome base for almost anything, including (admittedly slow) off-the couch marathoning.

My legs were pretty sore for two days, but that's about it. Btw, I'm 42 yo.

cheers!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Brian;

Look into interval training instead of the slow stuff. If you worked in one hard interval day, say 400m, 800m, 1200m repeats once each week, and then did a longer run on the weekends, you'll build great strength and endurance.

Also, Brian MacKenzie's article 'The New World Order for Endurance Training' is an absolute MUST READ! Its in the November CrossFit Journal. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
Brian;

Look into interval training instead of the slow stuff. If you worked in one hard interval day, say 400m, 800m, 1200m repeats once each week, and then did a longer run on the weekends, you'll build great strength and endurance.

Also, Brian MacKenzie's article 'The New World Order for Endurance Training' is an absolute MUST READ! Its in the November CrossFit Journal. Good luck and keep us posted.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was searching for it and was ready to post then saw you beat me to it.

But I totally agree. Brian's article on triathlon and marathon training is one of the best endurance article's we've had in a while. Check it out!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Scalf View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I was searching for it and was ready to post then saw you beat me to it.

But I totally agree. Brian's article on triathlon and marathon training is one of the best endurance article's we've had in a while. Check it out!
Thanks Grant, Kevin & Mike. Very much appreciated.

I subscribe to the journal but have not read that article. Will rectify that tonight though

I ran a 13.5 miler the weekend after my last post as a 'test'.
Went ok. Were bad conditions as well. 1:53 for about 13.5 miles.

Have settled on a plan for teh next 18 weeks of...
Wk1: Long run.
Wk2: 10K (good pace)
Wk3: No run.
Repeat 6 times

But I may change the 3rd weeks for interval training. Will open that journal now
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
Kimberly Sanchez

Profile:

Where is this mystical " search" function. I've been lurking on these forums forever.. and have never seen it. I must be blind.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Sanchez View Post
Where is this mystical " search" function. I've been lurking on these forums forever.. and have never seen it. I must be blind.
it is one of several tabs on the bar that stretches across the top of the page, about two or three inches (hah - as if all monitors and a/rs are the same) from the top of the actual web page when the page is scrolled all the way to the top.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #17
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

I am planning to run 16 miles tomorrow to kick things off. It will be the first run in a series of six long runs. I expect it to be tough but would hope to complete injury free
Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #18
Marc McLellan

Profile:

I have run three marathons:

Los Angeles 2005
Palos Verdes 2005
Los Angeles 2006

The first I did one of those running programs. Long run, interval/tempo run, and recovery runs. I hit the wall between the 18th and 19th mile (at around 3 hours. The wall fell on me I could not get from under the wall. It was pretty tough. During the preparation for the marathon I did ZERO conditioning work. A big mistake I finished the marathon in 6:25. It took another 3 and a half hours from mile 19!

Palos Verdes I started doing conditioning with my kettlebells. I new about CrossFit but I guess I thought that I was not FIT enough. The conditioning helped. I ran only 30 miles per week working on technique and keep my feet in shape. I was super conservative as I did not hit the wall again. I finished in 5:40 or 5:50. I posted a picture of me and some friends that was featured in the LA Times. Hopefully it works.

My last marathon, LA 2006, was my best performance. I was still pretty conservative but I finished in around 4:50. I had 20 min of restroom breaks. With 25,000 people running everything has a line! Only conditioning and some running. My level of conditioning was pretty high at this time. But was still pretty conservative.

My max training run was 11 miles for all three marathons.

My bearded friend Ken is the guru. He is an excellent runner and has much to teach. He has completed 2 marathons in a weekend and can run a 5 min mile. If you live in Southern California he is worth looking up for some running technique improvements.

I hope the picture works.

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Los Angeles Times Ken Bob and Marc running the PV Marathon 052005.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1062  
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #19
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc McLellan View Post
I have run three marathons:

Los Angeles 2005
Palos Verdes 2005
Los Angeles 2006

The first I did one of those running programs. Long run, interval/tempo run, and recovery runs. I hit the wall between the 18th and 19th mile (at around 3 hours. The wall fell on me I could not get from under the wall. It was pretty tough. During the preparation for the marathon I did ZERO conditioning work. A big mistake I finished the marathon in 6:25. It took another 3 and a half hours from mile 19!

Palos Verdes I started doing conditioning with my kettlebells. I new about CrossFit but I guess I thought that I was not FIT enough. The conditioning helped. I ran only 30 miles per week working on technique and keep my feet in shape. I was super conservative as I did not hit the wall again. I finished in 5:40 or 5:50. I posted a picture of me and some friends that was featured in the LA Times. Hopefully it works.

My last marathon, LA 2006, was my best performance. I was still pretty conservative but I finished in around 4:50. I had 20 min of restroom breaks. With 25,000 people running everything has a line! Only conditioning and some running. My level of conditioning was pretty high at this time. But was still pretty conservative.

My max training run was 11 miles for all three marathons.

My bearded friend Ken is the guru. He is an excellent runner and has much to teach. He has completed 2 marathons in a weekend and can run a 5 min mile. If you live in Southern California he is worth looking up for some running technique improvements.

I hope the picture works.

Marc
Thanks for the post. I've since run a 16.7 miler and it went pretty well. Will continue with my plan.

You mention kettlebell training ? What exactly did you do ?

I've heard of kettlebell training for marathons but not what specific exercieses.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #20
Marc McLellan

Profile:

Just conditioning stuff with the kettlebells. Swings, Snatches, Bear Crawls, etc.

CrossFit will cover the conditioning (and then some) just fine.

If you have not run a marathon I would build a long run equal to the race distance. Or at least 24 miles for a marathon. 20 miles and 26.2 miles is a pretty significant distance.

Start easy and build.

JMO,

Marc