CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Erik Tiner

Profile:
How Fit Are You? scoring

I was reading the CF journal How Fit Are You. In the scoring section it shows that to obtain 4 points in test #1, you need to obtain a total score of between 6000 - 8124. It gives an example of a 300# bench press max with 20 pull-ups. 300 X 20 = 6000.

Does this mean that if you get an aggregate score of less than 6000 you don't earn any points? Say you have a female athlete who can BP 200# and then do 25 pull-ups, that gives a score of 5000. Does this mean she earns zero points for the first test?

If I am reading this wrong, can someone explain this. If I am right, it does not appear too many people, even athletes, would even score 4 points on the first test.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: How Fit Are You? scoring

Yes, you get 0 points.

If you read the entire thing they said scoring high 80+ on that would make someone close to one of the fitest people on the planet. Therefore, that would make it extremely hard to score points in the first place. If you're hitting elite CF times you should be able to score at least 4-8 points on most of the tests most likely.

The pullups are kipping by default, by the way, which makes it easier to score higher numbers.

Last edited by Steven Low; 12-04-2007 at 04:08 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Erik Tiner

Profile:

Thanks for the response, it was what I thought it was. Do you know if there is a different scoring system for males/females and/or age brackets? It seems like the scoring favors men with upper body strength to score in some of the tests.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Nope, don't know anything about that so I assume it's for everyone. You can e-mail HQ if you want an answer on that though.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Ian Carver

Profile:

Erik Tiner - I know that name from years past...The same one from SB-15?! Santa Clara SO, now Boise PD. If so, long time no talk. Drop me a PM sometime and we'll catch up. (If not, disregard this as going into the "too much wine before posting" catgeory).
Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tiner View Post
I was reading the CF journal How Fit Are You. In the scoring section it shows that to obtain 4 points in test #1, you need to obtain a total score of between 6000 - 8124. It gives an example of a 300# bench press max with 20 pull-ups. 300 X 20 = 6000.

Does this mean that if you get an aggregate score of less than 6000 you don't earn any points? Say you have a female athlete who can BP 200# and then do 25 pull-ups, that gives a score of 5000. Does this mean she earns zero points for the first test?

If I am reading this wrong, can someone explain this. If I am right, it does not appear too many people, even athletes, would even score 4 points on the first test.
Shoot, if you have a female athlete who can do that, I'd like to sign her on a pro women's sports team.

But yes is the answer. I think it could be revised (if you wanted to revise it) for ladies scores with different weights. But it would be very similar to the men's scores, in that most people couldn't even touch the scores, let alone score well.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tiner View Post

Hi. Quick question. What journal was that article in ?

Regards,
Brian.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Here is a direct link to the pdf (wfs)

How fit are you?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Also see:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21753 wfs
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Adam Altman

Profile:

I would like to see some kind of agility/speed test added to the measurement. I'm not really sure how to test that -- it could be jump rope turns per minute? 220 turns gets 4pts, 260 turns gets 8pts, etc... ?

Regardless, I would still probably get 0 points.