CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #41
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Peter,

I'm saying that from what I seen in the youtube videos, the techniques and training against compliant opponents look like the same old stuff that got exposed when the UFC first came out. You put a Kung-Fu or Aikido sytlist in a real fight and they come to find out that they're fancy wrist locks and "dead" sparring (as Matt Thorton would put it), are useless. When someone is actually resisting you it's a different ballgame.

I don't want to generalize, as you might say that Jeet Kune Do is a Kung Fu style or something, but the whole point of Jeet Kune Do was to eliminate those STUPID kung-fu techneques that didn't actually work, and keep only those things that did. The bujinkan videos looked like that is exactly what is was, the same old antiquated stuff thats already been exposed time and time again.

Perhaps theres a technique here and there in the "ancient" systems that is effective, but as a whole those types of systems are not very good.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #42
Peter Queen

Profile:
“You put a Kung-Fu or Aikido sytlist in a real fight and they come to find out that they're fancy wrist locks and "dead" sparring (as Matt Thorton would put it), are useless. When someone is actually resisting you it's a different ballgame.”

OK, perhaps I am missing something, but you are making it seem that the UFC matches are not real competitions. In that, I mean it seems that when a person is put into a submissive hold, they do it freely and willingly, if I am to understand you correctly. As opposed to an actual assailant who is really trying to keep from being held. If I am misinterpreting your analysis please let me know.

As far as your point about JKD, I’ll agree. I’ll even say that JKD paved the way for other directly applicable modern art forms such as Krav Maga for example. I wouldn’t necessarily call certain MA techniques useless though. They are still to be appreciated all the same, if for nothing else, for the beauty of motion.
Just my HO and 2c.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #43
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Jen Case
Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #44
Peter Queen

Profile:
Awwwww! OK, I see what you did. You provided me with the name of Erin's opponent. Thanks Yael.

Here's her profile:
http://www.heavyweightgladiators.com/profilecase.html
(Family/work safe)
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #45
Yael Grauer

Profile:
No problem.

Here's the Sherdog profile:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...ighterID=11612

work/family safe if you're allowed to look at MMA fights at work/home!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #46
Peter Queen

Profile:
Don't forget Warrior Nation will be on tonight on the Versus channel from 10 to 11pm (Central time). Check your local listings for time.
The Oklahoma Destroyers vs. Dallas Dragons. It will also re-air this Saturday from 3 to 4pm. Again check your local listings.