CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2003, 01:19 AM   #1
Matt Cullen

Profile:

A question for Greg Amundson or anyone else:

As a Swimmer I am interested to know whether Greg just uses the workout of the day to achive his swim training. Does he replace certain aspects of the WOD with swimming or is it done in a totally different session. The reason I am asking is from the posting on Friday, Greg achiveing silver in a distance swim event.

Cheers Matt Cullen
Old 07-12-2003, 07:05 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Or, worse yet, is he just that good without specific swim training?
Old 07-12-2003, 07:39 AM   #3
Matt Cullen

Profile:

David,

I am praying now that this isn't the answer.

Cheers Matt.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I don't know how much, if any, swimming that Greg currently does but I do know that he played water polo in high school.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
Coach

Profile:

Greg played H20 Polo in college but didn't train for the distance swim until several weeks before the event.

(He did the tri on a cross-bike with knobby tires, and brought a surfing rather than swimming wetsuit and so went without the wetsuit !)

Many of our athletes competing in endurance events train long distance only a few weeks before the competition or irregularly throughout the year - if at all. A regular participant in the WOD doesn't need much specialized training to rise to formidable ability at any task.

Greg is going to limit his tri training to entering five or six tri's over the next year in prep for the 2004 Police and Fire Games triathlon.

Derek's crew in Florida has enjoyed successes like Greg's at adventure racing and tri's with the WOD and negligible endurance training.

Triathletes develop their cardiorespiratory fitness early and quickly while the preponderance of their training improves performance through wasting away.

Compared to typical tri training CrossFit develops superior cardiorespiratory and lactate tolerance/clearance adaptations but is no match for the traditional tri training for the wasting that renders the triathlete incapable of other than long distance bikeing, running, and swimming.

Expressing this throws the tri community into paroxysms of rage and hate but is a fact. (Last year we weathered threats, vulgar hate mail, and hacking/vandalism for publicly sharing this fact.)

Coach

Old 07-12-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Some people just can not take the truth.
I am glad you guys are around.

God Bless.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:11 AM   #7
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Coach,

I totally agree with what you say. It seems a shame that when people get into endurance training they forget all about other beneficial aspects of fitness.

Thanks Matt Cullen
Old 07-13-2003, 05:39 AM   #8
F

Profile:

As an endurance "oriented" athlete, I find it humorous when I get into heated conversation with others about the benefits of including Crossfit's type of training. Some, not all, are very closed-minded and reluctant to "modernize" (I use that word deliberately) their training programs. But some of us are on board....we're not all wankers!
Old 07-13-2003, 05:49 AM   #9
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Coach,

We have a popular Tri mag over here in England called 220. I think it would be interesting and beneficial to Crossfit if you sent them something like you wrote in the previous post. The mag has an open training section where readers can send in emails on all aspects of training. If interested I can send you the email address.

Cheers Matt Cullen
Old 07-13-2003, 08:17 AM   #10
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I don't think they will be too happy with what this Yank has to say! :wink: