CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
joseph elberti

Profile:

Patellar tracking difficulties are often due to weak vastus medialis muscles. It can often be hard to directly hit that muscle group depending on structural factors.

Along with the IT band stuff (which it sounds like is the problem)- you can add this little exercise:

-start from a standing position
-flex one leg at the hip (lift your knee)
-extend and externally rotate your foot at the same time (while pointing your toe)

You should look kind of like a ballarena doing this exercise.

Do a couple of sets of 10 for each leg every time you warm up.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
Paul Findley

Profile:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/

Another source for information I ran into...I can actually find things on this site, which is helpful.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Went to the doctor today. He said it's definitely my kneecap not tracking right which can happen if I expose myself to strenuous exercise that I'm not used to.

When I told him I ran hard for 3-4 days in a row on bumpy surfaces he said that the force and new angles my muscles were being hit at could easily cause this. He also said that my right leg is on the verge of developing the same thing if I don't pay attention. (It's probably because it's stronger that it didn't develop the sympots straight away).

He gave me a couple of exercises to follow 2-3 times everyday to strengthen the fascea (chk sp?) at the end of my quads.

#1. Lying down, extend my leg straight to above a 45 degree angle and lower it in 4 controlled steps until it touches the ground then repeat.

#2. Lying down, extend my legslightly bent to a 30-35 degree angle and straighten it until it locks, then repeat.

I 'll have some X-rays next week...Keeping my fingers crossed that this will go away...Thanks a lot for your help guys!!