CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
George Zegas

Profile:
Hi Everyone!

Today is my first day! I'm really excited to get started. Can somebody clarify "Angie"? 100 of each exercise? For time? Is there a pause in betwen exercises? What if you can't complete 100 reps? How many sets?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
From what I've read you just do it for time. Thus, if you need to take rests between exercises (or even reps) that is okay. Just try to complete it as 'fast' as you can. And it is only 1 set of these exercises. If you can't complete them I would record what you've done, and move on to the next exercise.

As for scaling I'm thinking of how to do that myself. The amount of time it would take me to finish this might make it non-intense (I'm a beginner with Crossfit). I'm going to go to a Crossfit gym today though and perhaps they'll have more advice.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
George,
Welcome to CrossFit. Angie is indeed 100 of each exercise done stright through. Best advice for a new person is to dial back the work load and intensity for awhile. Do 1/4 or 1/2 Angie. Better to feel like you could do a little more than feel like you will be unable to train tomorrow.

We post a scaled version of the front page WOD here:
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
George Zegas

Profile:
Thanks...I feel more confident with the push ups, Sit ups and Squats however, 100 Pull Ups...wow. I don't think I've every completed more then 15-20 in one set. Should I take some breaks to get to 100 or just stop when my body has given in?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
Rory Gibson

Profile:
Don't think of it as "one set".
You can break 'em up howeer you need - 10x10 or whatever. Just make sure you finish the pullups before you start the pushups.

(Message edited by roryg on April 03, 2007)
Old 04-03-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Cal Jones

Profile:
If you have access to an assisted pull-up machine (or Gravitron) then use that. My goal is to be able to do a decent number of pull-ups (10 would be nice). Currently I can do three, palms towards me, and the third is a real struggle. With hands in other positions I can't do any. But, using the machine, I can knock out sets of quite a few reps.
There are other ways to make the exercise easier - have someone hold your ankles and give you a little boost if needed. Or choose a railing or bar 2-3 feet off the ground (the Smith machine is great for this but I started doing this on park railings when I went for a run), like below it with your body straight and feet on the floor and pull yourself up until your chest touches the bar. It's rather like an inverted row.

I may have a go at Angie tonight as I was Thai boxing last night. I'll let you know how it goes.