CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Richard Macaulay

Profile:
Stubborn lower back

After working out and doing some yoga I have been feeling good about my bad lower back. Previous disc injuries in the past (bloomin rugby).

That being said I was moving some boxes earlier and sufice to say I am now in a lot of pain when trying to stand up straight. I am not sure if the yoga strenghtened my lower back or just mobilised it, and Iv been essentially mobilising a weak area.

Any great tips form strengthening lower backs that have helped you. I'm trying to get in the habit of lying over a Swiss ball (placed on a bench) and stretching my back AND doing reverse hypers.

Thanks

Richard
Old 09-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Stubborn lower back

I was gonna say BW reverse hypers/leglifts are what I have used when I have tweaked my lower back. Besides pikey support and hanging swings and lying windshield wipers.

Also look up snaking your back. Basically lying on the ground propped up on your forearms and wiggling your lower back around. It'll basically look like you are trying to hump the floor so it's wierd but I find it helps.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Tugberk Kocatekin

Profile:

I don't know, and we can't know which yoga poses you do. There are really harmful flexion positions which you must avoid at all costs.

I would recommend you to read anything you can find on Stuart Mcgill, he is a spine professor, and he is well-known in this area.

It would definitely help. But to make a little summary, as long as you over extend or over flex your spine, you are going to have problems. Spine should be stiff, and strong, by using your abs and ***.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Hard to say really,

Pay attention to your hip flexors and your lifting technique,...obviously a disc injury is a direct lower back issue, but typically lower back problems stem from other discrepancies in mobility or tightness.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Weighted back extensions have always helped me. Any time I do them regularly, I can bet on seeing my squat and dead go up in three or four weeks.

100-rep sets of supermans and other lower back exercises are great for injury prevention and resolution, too. You get lots of fresh blood circulating through the area as a result.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
Weighted back extensions have always helped me. Any time I do them regularly, I can bet on seeing my squat and dead go up in three or four weeks.

100-rep sets of supermans and other lower back exercises are great for injury prevention and resolution, too. You get lots of fresh blood circulating through the area as a result.
If considered high rep reverse hypers each day.

Have you seen this before from Bill Starr:

http://billstarrr.blogspot.ca/2012/0...ower-back.html

Think I would initially avoid the deadlifts but good mornings seem interesting.

Richard
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
If considered high rep reverse hypers each day.

Have you seen this before from Bill Starr:

http://billstarrr.blogspot.ca/2012/0...ower-back.html

Think I would initially avoid the deadlifts but good mornings seem interesting.

Richard
Also if your psoas is involved you'll find out with that. Trigger point self massage and stretching that muscle can help if it is.

Kind of obvious also but doing planks several times a week is good prevention, working up to around several (3-5) minutes total time combined on the front, side and back. Haven't had a back problem since, knock on wood.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Also if your psoas is involved you'll find out with that. Trigger point self massage and stretching that muscle can help if it is.

Kind of obvious also but doing planks several times a week is good prevention, working up to around several (3-5) minutes total time combined on the front, side and back. Haven't had a back problem since, knock on wood.
We update. After trying to above Larry Scott program for a few days I can say that even though I have only been doing the good mornings (with no halting deadlifts) twice a day, my hammies are agony. If you wanted to discover a connection to your hamstrings this is the program for you. Its kind of rendering itself pointless as I cant really tell if my backs truly feeling better as I now have so little movement from the hammy tightness haha.

To loosen that off I did some reverse hypers on an incline bench and already everything feels better.

Richard
Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Guys, help, please.

Just a quick info on me. 34 year old male, 180cm height, 81kg BW. Started working out in 2012 after being a sedentary person for ~ 15 years. I suffer from some sort of back "injury".

As I remember lower back pain started when I started doing heavy deadlifts, power cleans, ATG squats and similar movements. I assumed pain is there because my back is weak and it needs to get stronger. It was bareable and I was making good gains until around 2 months ago. I was squatting ~90% of 1RM in a new lifting platform and made some weird move (due to not being used to new platform I made an extra long step back) which resulted in something clicking around left part of my upper pelvic area. Kelly talks about this area @ 2m18sec in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAj6frTsSs WFS (PSIS or Posterior superior iliac spine I believe is it called?)

The pain was rather sharp and could go down my left leg if I've been in certain positions. But it was nowhere near the level of "not being able to get out of bed" pain. I just had trouble getting pants on while standing as bringing my left leg up triggered the pain. The doc said it should not be an issue as the pain is not severe at all and that I should stop lifting and take some pain killers if needed (they were not). Therefore I assumed nothing got really injured just some minor tweak.

I stayed away from squatting and only did under 90% 1RM single pull deadlifts for a month and some single leg leg presses. It helped to a point where I was again able to squat again, but again some degree of pain was still there. Minor pain, but noticable.

So until yesterday when again something strange happened, but again, not during a lift, but prepping for it. I was doing some stretches and also did a bend over spine extension: http://www.exrx.net/Images/Mechanics...eFlexSpine.gif WFS
When I was in my lowest possible position (fingers about touching the ground) I rotated a bit to the right and to the left. But when rotating to the left again something clicked in my PSIS area. My squatting later was a mess, did not able to get tight in the pelvis area and had to stop squatting. Tried foam rolling and no help.

Now Id like to get to a bottom of this, find out what exactly is wrong and then work from there. But unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough. So I ask for your help, how to diagnose this, can I do any exercises that will help locating the issue, maybe pressing with fingers on certain spots, get in some positions, etc?

What I already started doing is this Kelly video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAj6frTsSs WFS
The exercise he talks/shows at 3m33sec is the one that triggers pain on the left PSIS are when I push left knee. If i switch position and push right knee, the pain is not there.

Any help much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #10
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Did my homework, this video pretty much sums everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTo1eAZXNKk WFS

Its the Sacroiliac joint issue.

The guy says to watch for bad life habbits, like standing on one foot which results in pelvis being tilted, etc.

This is exactly what I have been doing lately. Due to my concern for my lower back I got myself a "standing desk" and I do most of my work standing up (yea, a computer guy). I very rarely sit. But I have often find myself being shifted to left side, eg standing on one foot and not being in neutral position.

Most of the stuff I found about Sacroiliac joint issues is related to how to fix once the issue is there, eg getting shifting the joint back into place. Now that I know all that, how to strengten it, or other tissue, that will prevent it from happening again? Or will it resolve itself on its own once I remove the "bad life habbits" described above?

One exercise I found that works towards improving SI joint, going into a deep ATG squat, yoga squat, and resting there for a few minutes.