CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:
Re: Milk - yay or nay?

What is this? The Paleo convention? Wt*??! Unless you have lactose intolerance, milk is just fine
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Daniel Alderete

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
Can you explain this?
What a cow eats, how they live, where they live, how they're milked, how often they're milked, and how they're treated all matter- and I'm not even talking about the ethical side of it, I'm talking about the nutrient value in conventional vs raw milk.

-Most conventional milk (i.e. most of what a traditional supermarket carries) is from cows fed grain. They live on the notorious CAFO's, or Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, breeding grounds for disease and pollution- industrialization of dairies at its finest.

-A cows natural diet is grass. They are grazers. Conventional cows get grain. Grain is cheap. Large-scale dairies are all about the dollar. So, since it is much cheaper to fatten them on corn than to put them out to pasture on healthy grasses, they get the grain. Raw milk dairies do use a small amount of grain to supplement their cows with hay during the time of year when there's no green grass. Conventional cows also get pig manure, newspaper, plastics, and other weird stuff mixed into their feed. Truly, the filthiest conditions imaginable for food to come from, packaged in a clean looking plastic gallon jug.

-Conventional cows are forced into nonstop birthing which means nonstop lactation. Super stress for mama cow. A Holstein cow naturally produces around 20 pounds of milk per day. With added hormones like synthetic rbST /rbGH, brought to you by the kind folks at Monsanto, and antibiotics and other toxins, they produce more than 50 pounds of milk per day, and live one fifth of a natural life (die in 5 years or made into hamburger, if they even live that long). But what's that mean for the milk you drink? What they give the cow gets passed on to you. In a study last year, 20 painkillers, synthetic hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs were found in a single sample of milk. If your cow is on painkillers, that's one sign your dairy has a problem.

-Conventional cow's milk is homogenized. This means that the fat globules are mechanically broken down. This means that the whole "cream rises to the top" thing will not happen. The globules are much smaller now, and some studies have alluded that this may be bad for the heart, since the smaller globules can work their way into smaller arteries/arterioles. I haven't seen anything proving this, but I would rather drink my milk in its most natural state as possible

-The pasteurization process kills any and all bacteria, good and bad. Most of your immune system is in your gut, that's why probiotics have been the rage lately. Raw milk naturally carries this. I myself make kefir from it. Conventional cows milk MUST be pasteurized--it already has blood and pus in it(literally)--so of course you gotta nuke it.

-The whole grain vs. grass issue. Grains help the cow produce more milk, but it won't be as healthy. They mess up a cows digestive system---they are not designed to handle grain.

-Conventional milk lacks healthy enzymes, healthy bacteria (probiotics, living cultures), vitamins, minerals, and other benefits that are present in living, raw milk. It's watered down, lacking in flavor. I can give you specifics if you like.

Raw milk from healthy cows is the way to go (here in California we have Claravale Dairy- milk made exclusively from Jersey cows which have a higher butterfat content which makes it tastes soooo good, I've visited their dairy firsthand- and Organic Pastures Dairy.) Some people are repulsed by the idea of unpasteurized milk, so I'd say the second best option is to buy something organic, vat-pasteurized (pasteurized at a lower temperature), and unhomogenized. Straus Milk and St. Benoit milk are examples of this, and they are also here in California- don't know if any of the ones I listed are on a national scale. I've been drinking raw milk for 5 years now. My dad is from a ranch in the mountains of Mexico, and he drank raw milk all his life and his dad before him. If you know where your food source comes from and it is healthy, just do it

Have you heard of the Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 lists for produce? Well I once saw a list that had ALL common foods on it- produce, meats, carby/bready foods, everything---and the food that came out as the dirtiest? Conventional milk.

Last edited by Daniel Alderete; 06-17-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Drank quite a bit (roughly a quart a day) last summer when I was doing an LP, none really now.

Not because I think milk is bad or anything, I just found other places to get roughly the same number of calories.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

yes. 12oz w/ PWO shake. and 8 oz greek yogurt everyday.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alderete View Post
What a cow eats, how they live, where they live, how they're milked, how often they're milked, and how they're treated all matter- and I'm not even talking about the ethical side of it, I'm talking about the nutrient value in conventional vs raw milk.
You make some good points, but the bottom line is does it effect our health? Is there any evidence that it hurts anyone in a concrete way? I agree the ethical question is a separate one.

The question to me is whether the goodness of commercial cow milk outweighs its non-goodness. I submit to you that it has been proven to be primarily good by experience and so it will remain until until proven otherwise.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
So now fruit is bad, carrots and onions are bad, and now milk is bad. Is water still ok? Glad bacon is still ok.
You forgot greek yogurt. It apparently shortens your life.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
So now fruit is bad, carrots and onions are bad, and now milk is bad. Is water still ok? Glad bacon is still ok.
bacon and water are definetly out. only weak people need to eat or drink. you have to be strong enough to overcome your false feelings of hunger and thrist if you want to be elite. now go do some kipping pullups and repent
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
Adam Molnar

Profile:

Have you guys seen the training video of Rich Froning? He drinks milk! I usually drink some, and only which is related to a cow, not to a chemistry lab!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

GOMAD.

Here in Chicago, we have oberweis. Comes in 2 types chocolate and plain. Tastes like milkshake. Yay
Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #20
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
You forgot greek yogurt. It apparently shortens your life.
Apparently, your cow has to eat Paleo too.