CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
paleo(whole9 style) or paleo-zone

ive been eating paleo for a while but in zone proportions... my question is has anyione gone from eating paleo-zone to just paleo/ how were your results. Im at my desired bf% and dont want it to go up, which the zone helps accomplish. However, counting blocks etc is quite annoying.
so overall who eats regular paleo and how has it helped your performance opposed tor zoning. and do the top games competitiors follow zone or simply use paleo?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Evan Peikon

Profile:
Re: paleo(whole9 style) or paleo-zone

by whole 9 style i mean meals in the following format

3 meals that consist of:
1 full palm sized serving of protein
1 fist sized fruit serving
1 handful of nuts
fill rest of plate with veggies

and 1-2 snacks as needed
1/2 portion stated above
Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Counting blocks is an unnecessary hassle for most people, and there's no guarantee that 40/30/30 is the ideal ratio for you. I did the Zone/Paleo thing for awhile and was a lot happier once I stopped weighing and measuring everything, and I also got a lot bigger, stronger, and better-conditioned when I quit following Zone portion limits and just started eating however much I thought I needed.

Depending on your goals and methods of training you may need more or less of one macro or another. I think the Whole9 approach is pretty solid though I'd recommend not relying exclusively on nuts as your fat source.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Evan Peikon

Profile:

For breakfast and lunch I'll be using nuts as my fat source, and for dinner I'll be using an avocado
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Depending on your goals and methods of training you may need more or less of one macro or another. I think the Whole9 approach is pretty solid though I'd recommend not relying exclusively on nuts as your fat source.
There are separate measures given for multiple primary fat sources in the whole 9 template including nuts/seeds, butters, oils, coconut milk, coconut flakes, olives, avocado.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
so overall who eats regular paleo and how has it helped your performance opposed tor zoning. and do the top games competitiors follow zone or simply use paleo?
I would be extremely shocked if any of the top games competitors follow the zone, especially if they do so as originally written. (As opposed to increasing blocks, adding multiples of the base fat blocks, etc.) I would be surprised, though not shocked, if any of them follow a strict paleo diet.

Katherine
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Lauren Mackenzie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I would be extremely shocked if any of the top games competitors follow the zone, especially if they do so as originally written. (As opposed to increasing blocks, adding multiples of the base fat blocks, etc.) I would be surprised, though not shocked, if any of them follow a strict paleo diet.

Katherine
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? Sorry, I'm just new to the whole paleo thing and am just curious as to why games competitors wouldn't follow a paleo diet!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Mackenzie View Post
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? Sorry, I'm just new to the whole paleo thing and am just curious as to why games competitors wouldn't follow a paleo diet!
The difficulty in getting enough calories and particularly enough carbs to support that amount of training.

Katherine
Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:

What is Whole9 style?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Evan Peikon

Profile:

It's just the aforementioned meal template style I stated above. Thevactual foods you eat are regular paleo philiosopy