CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Mike Gray
OK, something I was thinking about this morning:

Once you're warmed up (whichever warmup you use ... ), how many lifts do you guys do as you work your way through the Cross Fit Total - and how do you stage the weights?

Here's the good and the bad of my CFT from today, just as an example of what seemed to work and what didn't seem to work for me today. But I'd be very interested to her how you guys go about working up to your maxes.

The squats and presses were a big disapointment:

I was shooting for 50kg on the press and started working up from 40kg - 40kg, 42.5kg, 45kg, 47.5kg, doing singles. Even 40kg felt really heavy, and I only got 47.5kg by cheating with my legs. I jumped to 50kg anyway and didn't even get close. I tried 50kg two more times (no go), went back to 47.5kg, got it - just barely - without cheating, missed 50kg two more times and quit.

On the squats, I was aiming for 130kg. I started with a single at 100kg (heavy but OK), then jumped to 120kg and cheated - didn't go all the way down. Tried 120kg again and got stuck at the bottom. 3 more tries, 3 more cheats (not low enough). I finally went all the way down and just barely comepleted. Quit. Really PO'd.

I was pretty frustrated when I got to the DL - but that worked out really nicely! I started with a 120kg (just to lift something that's heavy for me but that I know I can lift even on a bad day), then 140kg, then 150kg, then 160kg. 140kg was my old CFT best, 150 was my PR, 160 was my new PR. Very, very satisfying.

What kind of morals would you all draw from the tale, and how do you do it yourselves?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Franklin Shogie
hmmm, you have 3 attempts after your warmup sets to get your max in a lift when doing the CrossFit Total (CFT).

example: squats, your goal is 235lb

warmup sets: 10X empty bar, 5X 135lb, 3X 185lb,

attempts: 1X 225lb (good), 1X 235lb (fail), 1X 230lb(good)

so for squats your CFT max is 230lb

even if you attempt 240lb and are successful on your 4th attempt your max squat for that particular CFT is only 230lb.

see the Crossfit Journal article (w/f safe link) for additional information.

The numbers you post are based on the honor system.:happy:
Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Mike Gray

I hadn't thought about that! I was vaguely aware of the three try thing (I looked through the article back when I started CF in March), but I didn't pay attention to that part. I've just been treating the CFT as a chance to get as close as possible to my one rep max, not as a sort of tactical competition style thing.

I've only been doing DLs and military presses since March - I started squatting and benchpressing last August, when I decided to get fit, bought some weights and started trolling the internet to find out how to use them. This means that I'm still pretty hazy about what my maxes are. In fact, by a strict interpretation of Coach Riptoe's guidelines, I probably don't have any right to be doing a CFT.

Sigh - just when I thought I was realy starting to get there ...

Anyway, from what I read, it looks like the idea Coach Riptoe presents for warming up is to do a few lower weight, multiple-rep sets (starting at around 1/3 of max), then work up very close to a minimal "competition" weight (a weight I should be able to lift three times) for my first "official" try - and then take it on from there.

Is that how everybody does it or are there any other hot tips? What I notice about this morning was that I happend to get the numbers just right on the DL (it was in a WOD just a few days back) but was flailing around on the other two.

Oh - and: which style of heavy-lift WOD is the one for nudging your way up to your 1x max? Would that be the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 WODs?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts
MOving to WODs