CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Administrative Area > Technical Support
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technical Support Questions on using the board software, etc.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Nicholas Locorriere

Profile:
Veterens Affairs (VA)

My name is Nicholas Locorriere I am a Marine Corps Vet and I have been a part of CrossFit for about 6 years now. I recently got my level 1 certification, and did so under the impression I would be able to get reimbursed the certification fee through my POST 911 GI BILL. I was informed through the VA that they did not recognize the certification for CrossFit or the ANSI testing; therefor they would not be reimbursing me the fee. I was told that CrossFit can petition the VA to recognize the certification process and if the VA agrees I and any other veterans can then reapply for reimbursement. I know CrossFit has an enormous military following so if anyone else has had this issue and has any advise I would appreciate any assistance. I would also ask that CrossFit look into contacting the Veterans Affairs to maybe resolve this issue for all its military/veteran followers.

Thank you,
Nicholas Locorriere
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Francisco Pietri

Profile:
Re: Veterens Affairs (VA)

Hey brother. Problem is that. CrossFit level 1 isn't a certification. It's a certificate course. Different things. Each one has their own meaning and implications. Does the post-9/11 cover certificate courses or just certifications?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Sorry man, can't happen. The VA doesn't pay for courses like this, only the certificate test. CrossFit doesn't pay separately for the certificate test so there is no way for you to get reimbursed via GI bill. HOWEVER, it looks like the Level 2 certificate might fit the requirements for the VA when it is reestablished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Locorriere View Post
My name is Nicholas Locorriere I am a Marine Corps Vet and I have been a part of CrossFit for about 6 years now. I recently got my level 1 certification, and did so under the impression I would be able to get reimbursed the certification fee through my POST 911 GI BILL. I was informed through the VA that they did not recognize the certification for CrossFit or the ANSI testing; therefor they would not be reimbursing me the fee. I was told that CrossFit can petition the VA to recognize the certification process and if the VA agrees I and any other veterans can then reapply for reimbursement. I know CrossFit has an enormous military following so if anyone else has had this issue and has any advise I would appreciate any assistance. I would also ask that CrossFit look into contacting the Veterans Affairs to maybe resolve this issue for all its military/veteran followers.

Thank you,
Nicholas Locorriere
Old 04-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Matt Genkinger

Profile:

I posted this elsewhere earlier this week on a different thread.

From VA PAM 22-02-1 (December 2005)
http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/do...c_brochure.pdf (WFS)

"How Do I Find Which Tests Are Approved?
To find out which tests are approved, visit our Internet site: www.GIBILL.va.gov/Education/LCweb/search.asp (WFS)
If you canít find your test, you should still apply for education benefits. Your test may be approved but not appear on the list."

I filled out VA Form 22-0803 and with a copy of the letter (email) I received from HQ Training saying that I passed the test and a copy of the receipt for payment for the course. Dropped it in the mail yesterday. Whats the worst that could happen? The VA telling me "no!" Oh well. The only additional cost was the stamped envelope.

I'll update when I get a response from VA.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Any updates?