CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Roger Steinbeck

Profile:
weight loss question

here's the deal, i'm a 5'8", 177, 28 year old male. not trying to get down to 145 or anything so ambitious, but i would like to get down to about 160-165 give or take. problem is, i haven't been able to lose a pound (for more than a few days) in close to two months. on friday i'm probably 176 or so, 178 by monday. i know this means nothing without my exercise and food intake so:

run roughly 22-25 mi week (long run of 9-10, hill sprints, intervals, and an easy 6-7 miler); body weight type lifting (pullups, pushups, dips, core, weighted squats).

food: been following a paleo-ish type diet: breakfast-three eggs, a little 2% cheese, grapefruit; lunch-lean meat and vegetables; dinner-lean meat and veggies. generally a small snack mid afternoon of almonds, leftovers, etc. i do have some sort of guilty snack 4 days or so per week, half a cookie, skinny cow 100 cal ice cream, etc. weekends aren't quite as strict, usually one eat whatever meal, plus maybe 5-8 drinks spread over the weekend.

now i know exactly what i can take out of my diet to put it on point (booze, sweets, etc.), but given the amount of exercise i can't see it completely negating any ounce of weight gain. in the past when i was eating a similar diet and running about the same, i averaged 1-2 lb's per week and stayed around 166.

so there you have it. any ideas, discussion, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Joshua Gritton

Profile:
Re: weight loss question

Simple question and i am going to give you a simple answer.

With your volume of running coupled with the bodyweight exercises and that little amount of food i would suspect overtaining and your body is clinging to every pound of usable fuel it has.

is it required you run 22-25miles?
If not then don't run so much or cut back on the lifting though lifting in essence burns a heck of a lot more calories than running though calories are not the problem.

Get tons of sleep keep eating what you do and then a bit more and moderate your volume of exercise and you should see the pounds start to come off.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Roger Steinbeck

Profile:

i run that much for a few reasons:

1) it's not the first time i've wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. every single time before i upped my mileage, and it worked. i have tried seriously lifting 4 days a week with a couple days of sprints and every time i get stronger, and i put on fat (not just weight, trust me).

2) i like running races

3) nothing makes me feel better than a run

In terms of being overtrained, i've thought about it, but honestly spring/summer '08 i was averaging 30-35 mi/week, and i was a lean 163.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Steinbeck View Post
i
In terms of being overtrained, i've thought about it, but honestly spring/summer '08 i was averaging 30-35 mi/week, and i was a lean 163.
You were also three years younger, and you're at an age when that matters. It's entirely possible that your "base" weight has increased since then. Likely, if you've been doing a lot of strength training in the interim.

Katherine
Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

I run races but at the moment i am also pretty lean but i plan to run races even after i gain all the weight I want to. And trust me i want to gain a substantial amount of muscular weight.

I get your feeling about running makes you feel great. I was a track and cross country athlete and still can run a competitive 5k, 10k, 2mile, 1mile and 400m. So i share your love of running and volume days are a great reprieve from strength or short hard days but it doesn't always work how we want it to.

I still stick by the overtraining philosophy and your body most certainly has changed over the past couple years so what worked then may not work now. Volume in no way promises progress for weight loss in conjunction with lifting.

Good luck in your endeavors though.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
James Chu

Profile:

Assumption: you are eating enough during your other meals to accomodate your BMR

A mile is approximately 100 calories (give or take a few calories depending on pace)

2200-2500 calories burned from running. Unknown # of calories burned from lifting.

4 guilty snacks a week = ~400-600 calories
5-8 drinks a week = ~750-1200 (assumption: 150 cal beer)
one 'Whatever Meal' = ??

Before your 'whatever meal', you're probably running at a 400-1450 (min-max) caloric deficit.

eating a surplus of 400-1450 calories during a whatever meal, is pretty easy, IMO.

A pound of weight lost is going to require a 3500 calorie deficit. So, unless you're doing several hours of vigorous weight lifting, or your intake is at a deficit, I don't see any weight being lost.

TL;DR: Count your calories to ensure that there's a deficit by week's end.

Last edited by James Chu : 04-01-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Roger Steinbeck

Profile:

so i've been doing some reading and i'm coming across a lot of articles with the opinion that eating too little, i.e., too far below one's basal metabolic rate can severely hamper weight loss to the point where you're not losing anything. anyone agree or have any experience with this? at 178 lbs and moderate/heavy daily activity, it seems i should be eating just over 2000 cal/day to have 500 cal deficit, whereas i've been consuming around 1550 cal/day at least 6 days a week and maybe 2500 on saturday.

or am i just grasping at straws here?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

That study is true due to the fact your body enters the same state as over training as we have already told you. It perceives that a famine is coming and it will shut down and store up as much fat, food, energy sources as possible.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you're eating 1550 calories with your current size and activity level your body will start breaking down muscle as fuel and sparing fat, for the reasons that Joshua pointed out.

Keep eating as little as you want, but don't be surprised when you hit a huge wall on your performance or when you start getting skinny-fat.