CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Luke Seubert

Profile:
A Real Video About Sugar (Better than 60 Minutes drivel)

Please consider viewing (should you have the time), the following highly informative video about sugar.

YouTube - Sugar: The Bitter Truth (WFS)

This video features some of the most recent science on the issue of sugar, more specifically fructose. Want to know why high-fructose corn syrup; when combined with other unhealthy foods, is such a dietary disaster? This video explains it all.

Be aware that some of the material in the video is controversial. Some of the claims made by the author contradict commonly accepted wisdom in the field of nutrition. If folks want to argue and debate about this, that is fine. My purpose is merely to present this information, not defend it. I have too many other things to attend to these days.

Meanwhile, please enjoy the video.

P.S. Note to David Meverden: I am not knocking you for your 60 Minutes segment on sugar (WFS) post with my title. Rather, I am knocking 60 Minutes, which I have never found to be a source of quality journalism. I do like the 60 Minutes video you posted, an exception for me, and thought folks might appreciate more detail and insight into the issue.

Last edited by Luke Seubert; 04-27-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: A Real Video About Sugar (Better than 60 Minutes drivel)

The problem, in my opinion, with presenting some of this stuff is it perpetuates the alarmist agenda of the author etc.

Sugar is not a demon and will not kill anyone if consumed in moderation.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Matt Sloan

Profile:

Great Video! The Problem with consuming sugar in moderation is that most people can't and/or don't know what products contain them. Sugar is CRACK! you feed it to your body and it will crave more.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sloan View Post
Great Video! The Problem with consuming sugar in moderation is that most people can't and/or don't know what products contain them. Sugar is CRACK! you feed it to your body and it will crave more.
Oh come on. Figuring out that Twinkies and two liter bottles of Coke are bad for you is not exactly rocket science. Get rid of the foods that say "sugar" or "HFCS" right on the label and you've already taken the biggest step.

Katherine
Old 04-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Matt Sloan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Oh come on. Figuring out that Twinkies and two liter bottles of Coke are bad for you is not exactly rocket science. Get rid of the foods that say "sugar" or "HFCS" right on the label and you've already taken the biggest step.

Katherine
How many people that aren't into health read the labels? Bet most people don't even know it's in their bread! The rest probably don't even care. They think low-fat and it's healthy
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sloan View Post
How many people that aren't into health read the labels? Bet most people don't even know it's in their bread! The rest probably don't even care. They think low-fat and it's healthy
Just because they don't read what's on the label does not mean that they don't know it's bad for them. Most of the time, they just don't care.

I try to stay away from it, and I feel better when I do stay away from it.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

The alarmists strike again. I am just waiting for a Lustig/Taubes book.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Katherine
Many people do not understand labels, the ingredients in the foods they eat, or the consequences of these decisions for their bodies. Furthermore, many labels are deceptive. (WFS) Blaming individuals for over-consuming sugar is narrow-minded and negates some of the real issues involved: a lack of effective education, ignorance among policy makers, and the rampant corporate influence in Western government.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Wendelboe View Post
Many people do not understand labels, the ingredients in the foods they eat, or the consequences of these decisions for their bodies. Furthermore, many labels are deceptive. (WFS) Blaming individuals for over-consuming sugar is narrow-minded and negates some of the real issues involved: a lack of effective education, ignorance among policy makers, and the rampant corporate influence in Western government.
The mothers were shocked? Really? I mean if yiu have ever tasted nutella you know that **** Is not breakfast food
Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
The mothers were shocked? Really? I mean if yiu have ever tasted nutella you know that **** Is not breakfast food
Corporations craft very careful advertising campaigns and people believe "miracle products" exist that satisfy their cravings, taste great, and are healthy. People have been conditioned to believe that "modern" products and invention can cure all their problems. The best example of this is medicine, which is primarily concerned with curing - as opposed to prevention - symptoms.

It is obviously more complicated then that, but the vast majority of people do not know what they are doing with regards to food and when they try and make a change, they meet a plethora of different dogmas. Unfortunately, the "loudest" of these is often the "low fat" SAD.