CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Jeff Burns

Profile:
Prioritizing Supplements?

Hey all, first post here. Been lurking for a while though. I've searched and read a ton, but would still like to pose a question.

I'm new to CF and fitness in general. I wrestled in HS, but that's been almost 10 years. I've had spurts of running and trying to get in shape, but didn't stick with it longer than a week. I'm 6'1" and 270 (last time I weighed myself). I took the advice of folks here and haven't gotten back on a scale since starting to really exercise about 3 weeks ago. I joined a box here in town and go 3 days a week (MWF) while my body acclimates, and plan on going to a 2 on 1 off, 2 on 2 off schedule before too long.

So to the question: what should my priorities be as far as supplements? Were on a limited budget and just joining the box has us pretty well maxed out. I have about half of a container of protein powder left (muscle milk), so Im trying to think ahead in case I mail order something. I also just bought some fish oil, cant remember the brand name, but it was highly recommended somewhere on this site. So, what should I prioritize in the future? Seems like Fish Oil is the only supplement recommended by CF. But I also see a lot of folks who use protein shakes and creatine, etc. If I could only buy 2 each month, what should they be? Thanks yall.. I appreciate any help.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Prioritizing Supplements?

1) Real Food
2) Fish Oil
3) Anything else...
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Don't bother with creatine if you can only afford a few things. Protein powders are good if you can't fit in enough calories or don't have the time to always have food real post workout. They're not necessary, but definitely helpful.
You could also consider just a good multivitamin and fish oil
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Creating is definitely the cheapest, most effective supplement you can get. Just get a jug of creapure creating and take 5g a day.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Depends on what you want to achieve. Dismissing Creatine outright may not be the proper thing to do if you're trying to build strength and mass. If you're working out to be in better shape as well as slim down then maybe creatine isn't right for you. Because you say your new to CF and fitness in general I would tend to agree with Rebecca and focus on proper diet, recovery and fish oil.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Depends on what you want to achieve. Dismissing Creatine outright may not be the proper thing to do if you're trying to build strength and mass. If you're working out to be in better shape as well as slim down then maybe creatine isn't right for you. Because you say your new to CF and fitness in general I would tend to agree with Rebecca and focus on proper diet, recovery and fish oil.
From his post, I was under the impression he was trying to lose weight. I could've been wrong. If money is that tight, though, I'd agree to not worry about supplements other than the fish oil. Use the money you would use to buy more food, you can never have enough.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

No reason to dismiss creatine if your goal is losing weight. It won't add any fat and helps with recovery. Sure you don't need it by any means but if you breakdown the price you can get it for less than 16 cents per day. Can't think of anything else that will help performance for that price.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Jeff Burns

Profile:

Thanks for the quick responses.

My goal is primarily weight/fat loss. I understand general training will help that, I just want to be clear where I'm coming from. I don't look that big for my size, but I hate being fat. I don't want to have a huge gut anymore and strongly desire to shed some pounds while I can to avoid manifold health issues down the road.

My wife and I have always been of the whole foods mindset, so we avoid as much processed stuff as possible. I just never had much control as far as intake/quantity before. More whole foods in the budget keeps everyone happy. I just want to make sure that I'm not running on half a tank all the time.

So, if we up the whole foods intake, protein could take care of itself. Then would adding creatine be advisable? It certainly seems to be the most cost effective supplement...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Regardless, without knowing his diet, goals or anything like that, I'd still argue that a good multivitamin is more important than creatine.

EDIT: I was typing that as you were typing your response apparently and didn't see it. However, I stand with what I said. I'm no expert, but I don't see creatine as a necessity if you're on a tight budget.

Last edited by Brian Androsian; 04-10-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Androsian View Post
Regardless, without knowing his diet, goals or anything like that, I'd still argue that a good multivitamin is more important than creatine.

EDIT: I was typing that as you were typing your response apparently and didn't see it. However, I stand with what I said. I'm no expert, but I don't see creatine as a necessity if you're on a tight budget.
If you are eating 'properly' you don't need the multivitamin, especially if it is some cheap one that will pass right through his system anyways...then it is a complete waste of money.

Regardless of goals, go with fish oils and creatine. fish oils are absolutely necessary for recovery, inflammation, etc. Your post-workout shake doesn't need an expensive protein powder, just go with chocolate milk like the champ himself. Creatine because it is easily, the best bang for your buck out there in terms of cost per benefit in the supplement industry.