CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Dave Witt

Profile:
Vegetarian lunch ideas?

I'd like to switch over to a vegetarian diet, and foresee bringing lunches to work as being a big hurdle--I usually grab fast food. What are some of the lunches you take to work that are vegetarian, & do they keep you satisfied through the afternoon?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Teresa McDermott

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian lunch ideas?

Not sure if you eat rice and potatoes but here are some ideas.

Soup & Salads
Leftover Butternut Squash or Mushroom Risotto
Stuffed Peppers
Bean Salads
Hummous and Veg
Leftover Ratatouille
Cherry Tomatoes in Olive Oil
Cold potato salad
Fruit Salad

You could bring a selection of stuff in tupperware. Do you have a microwave you'd use?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Witt View Post
I'd like to switch over to a vegetarian diet, and foresee bringing lunches to work as being a big hurdle--I usually grab fast food. What are some of the lunches you take to work that are vegetarian, & do they keep you satisfied through the afternoon?
If you're serious about becoming vegetarian I strongly suggest that you read The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide To A Healthy Vegetarian Diet by Vesanto Melina RD and Brenda Davis RD as it will help you steer clear of many of the common mistakes people make when moving towards a plant based diet.

As for recipes I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like on the Vegetarian Society's recipe database - link.

*All links wfs*
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Meghan Reid

Profile:

If you must, do not fall into the trap of eating fake meat constantly. Processed soy and wheat gluten do not a diet make. Eat real food. This is still possible as a vegetarian, and everything we say on here to meat eaters (that is, a healthy diet requires planning and preparation and COOKING) applies here.

When I was vegetarian/vegan, I quickly fell into the habit of tofu a few times a week from the hot bar at whole foods and tons of pasta with fake butter and spices. Not exactly balanced. Don't do that.

Now that I'm done being diplomatic, I have to ask. What is making you change your diet? Are you trying to lose weight? Gain strength? Something wrong with your energy levels now or your performance? What is your diet like currently? You said lots of fast food, but "lots" is different to different people. Can you elaborate a little?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Do you have a microwave at work? My lunches are basically dinner leftovers. I bought some GlassLock containers because I don't like microwaving in plastic. If you have an asian market near you, then they might have some inexpensive ones, otherwise Bed, Bath & Beyond carries them. Sometimes Costco will as well.

So basically anything you'd eat for dinner, can be lunch:
A veggie 'bowl' (grains, beans and veggies - quinoa, black eyed peas and kale for example. I am lazy and generally steam my veggies but you can sautee them in olive oil and garlic the night before)

Various casseroles such as kale, black bean and sweet potato enchiladas or Chickpea and Tahini casserole (http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-ch...asserole-56818 - wfs).

Sandwiches - For snacks or part of a main meal. I recommend sprouted grain breads such as Ezekiel. You can find sprouted grain breads at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or other health food type stores. I buy almond butter and may make almond butter sandwiches, mostly for my husband. Also hummus sandwiches are awesome. Put anything you like on a hummus sandwich, cucumbers and sprouts are my favorite. Avocados are also a nice addition. You can sprout easily at home or buy your own.

Soup - Can be a main meal or part of a meal. Split pea soup, lentil and spinach soup, black bean soup, butternut squash soup, etc.

I'd suggest going to your local library and looking at some cookbooks.

My favorite cookbooks that I think are good for beginning vegetarians/vegans and emphasize real foods:
Vegan with a Vengeance
Veganomicon
Vegetarian cooking for everyone
Supermarket Vegan
Vegan on the Cheap

One of my favorite blogs is http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ - wfs

Last edited by Angelina Kelly; 12-03-2010 at 06:33 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Lentil soup is great for winter, I'm definitely missing it since going paleo
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Witt View Post
I'd like to switch over to a vegetarian diet
Why? just out of curiosity.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Dave Witt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Why? just out of curiosity.
Numerous reasons, actually. For one, my religion (Seventh-Day Adventist) encourages it, but that is one of the minor reasons. From what I've read/heard, a vegetarian diet will give you more energy/more steady energy supply; I should lose weight, provided I'm eating whole foods--I realize Ho-Ho's & Twinkies aren't meat, nor is pasta, but continually eating that won't help weight loss--so I'm looking at kindof a paleo/veg diet; but one of my biggest reasons is a book I'm reading now, The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. In it, he correlates animal protein w/ most/all of our Western diseases--cancer, heart disease, high cholesterol, stroke, diabetes, etc, etc. Vegetarians are some of the longest-living people on the planet. I'd like to give it a try & see if it's something I can live with. At the very least, I'd like to eat cleaner (not so much processed food), & cut down my animal protein intake.
http://thechinastudy.com/

Last edited by Dave Witt; 12-03-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: link didn't go thru properly
Old 12-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Thom Knapp

Profile:

This is a pretty inclusive article arguing against the findings (or observations?) found in The China Study, if you're curious...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/c...e-china-study/ (WFS)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

OK - all of your other reasons are your own but before you base a complete dietary overhaul on a book you should also check out some counterpoints to it. Just to say you've read both sides and carefully weighed the options.

If you read all this stuff and still come to the same conclusions, I promise I won't bug you anymore.

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/ WFS

On another tangent, are you trying to lose weight or are you trying to lose fat?