CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Lou Peters

Profile:
Too old and Beat up ????

I am44 years old,with a torn ACL and 2 shoudlers that hurt alot. I looked at CF last spring and now I am back again and really want to try. Am i looking for trouble? could this help my knee and shoulders?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Too old and Beat up ????

I'm 41, 240lb, with a damaged right MCL, one kidney, extremely tight shoulders, and a horrible sense of humor. If I'm not beyond hope, you're not.

Consider starting with the scaled workouts and moving up from there.

- Mark
Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Lou Peters

Profile:

How to I find out about the scaled workouts?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Here

Plus I recommend fully reading the FAQ and watching as much video as you can stand, all of which can be found on the Crossfit home page.

- Mark
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Lou Peters

Profile:

Thank You. I feel good about my tech on the lifts . I will watch the videos .
Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Lou Peters

Profile:

Scaled workouts seem to be the same as WOD on main page of CF. Am i looking in the wrong area?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I'm 43 myself, have no ACL in my right knee, as well as just having a thoroughly beat up body in general due to a misspent youth. I just started CF myself, but I've been going to the gym and doing interval training/running for the past couple of months, so I'm not in totally lousy shape. In general, I find that all my various damage and dings (as Indiana Jones said, 'It's not the years, it's the mileage') cause me a lot less trouble when I'm staying in shape than when I'm sedentary.

That being said, I would highly recommend finding either a CF affiliate, or someone who can train you in how to the various moves correctly, the Oly lifts especially, before trying them. I was lucky enough to find a CF affiliate about 2 miles from me who is a former competition olympic lifter, and he's teaching me the right way to do those things. You can totally do a deep squat without an ACL in one knee, if you do it correctly. All the power is coming from your hips, thighs and trunk, and there's less stress on your knees than in a shallow squat. He stresses 'how, fast and strong', get the technique first, then the explosiveness, then work on adding weight. He also emphasizes that any time your form starts to suffer on an Oly lift you need to immediately stop. If you look at the stats, Olympic lifters have less joint injuries than pretty much any competition sport.

As one old guy to another, I say go for it! Just take it slow and get the techniques down before you start really pushing yourself.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Wade Smith

Profile:

Toughen up. You CAN do it.

I'm 48 and have a handful of ongoing knee tendinitis and shoulder impingement issues that I'm constantly working around. As others have suggested, start small, start slow, ramp up accordingly, do what you feel comfortable with, get coaching/guidance about any exercise(s) that might exacerbate injuries, and ONLY compare your times/weights to your own past times/weights. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Good to have you aboard.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Lou- open up the link above for the scaled workout. Scroll down 1-2 responses until you see GuardDawg's response with a listing that includes:
Big Dogs
Pack
Puppies
Buttercup.
Each of those categories will have a scaled down version of the day's workout.
I recommend you start with Buttercup for awhile to acclimate yourself.
Don't forget the Crossfit Warmup, done before each workout:

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup.

Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Mike Onghena

Profile:

Just turned 40, 195lbs One replaced ACL, other one slightly torn with torn meniscus. I've been doing CF for about 6 weeks.

None of the exercises has done anything damaging to my knees that I know of. Even the running. At least there has been little pain. I'm having the meniscus fixed in a few weeks, I'll know then if things got worse, but I doubt it.

I would recommend getting the Starting Strength book for help with form on the squat and deadlift and clean. Or find some other way to get this infomration. I was shocked at how many details in the form there are. From there you can probably pick up the others watching the videos. At least that is what I am trying.

A very nice side effect is that my feet no longer hurt. I used to get a lot of foot pain from walking and running. Especially from running. It only took a few running workouts (plus a few non-CF runs of 2mi) and my feet don't hurt anymore.

The only knee-related worry I have is that after a strenuous leg workout, I might have a loss of knee stability due to muscle weakness. So, I am careful to go very slow on my trip back upstairs. Nothing bad has happened yet, just a precaution.

I always scale the WOD myself by reducing weight into a range I can handle. I have not tried the officially scaled ones. I try very hard to do all of the reps and sets as described. I'll do jumping pullups instead of good ones, etc..

I generally find my weights and times in the bottom 5% of people who report them in the WOD comments. So far no one has made fun of me that I have noticed.