CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #31
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Vegans and performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Kelly View Post
Why not instead let them eat what they want?
Don't get me wrong... I don't go around announcing that vegan/vegetarians/whatever is bad.

If someone asks my opinion IRL I'll tell them.

But then they just ignore anything I have to say so whats the point in the first place.

You do what you want to do that's all there is to it.

I get the same thing from my carnivorous friends who believe saturated fat and red meat are bad so it's not just vegans/vegetarians that are on my "bad side."

I hope you don't do it thinking you're healthier for it because that is certainly not the case.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #32
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Did you read Darryl's post about his own health numbers?

Do you have evidence for the supposed unhealthiness of vegetarian diets?

I love barbecue too much to be a vegetarian myself, but the claim that vegetarianism is antithetical to good nutrition is just wrong.

Katherine
I'll state my usual spiel of vegetarians being deficient in B12, omega-3s, etc. leading to anywhere from pernicious anemia to retardation in myelination of axons and atrophy of cerebral structures.

This is even moreso in infants and children (as they're growing and actually NEED these things to grow). There is a gluttony of studies on cerebral retardation of infants lacking b12 and omega-3s from breast milk.

I find the fact that supplementation is REQUIRED or eating foods that need to be enriched with vitamins (seeing as how they don't contain them themselves) to not be a very "wholesome" diet but each to their own. Of course, I don't brand supplementation as necessarily bad seeing as it can be positive so maybe that point falls apart but that leads me into my next point...

Vegetarian/veganism are only experience a rise in this and last century because of our ability to process vitamins and minerals into foods. You certainly could not do it well enough pre 1900s which is why there are very few if any vegetarian/vegan people from those eras. Which includes the fact there was extremely low incidence of CVD/heart disease then too when everyone was eating their full fat milk, butter, red meats, etc.

There's no real evidence to support most of the arguments vegetarians make against eating meat -- see the vegetarian myth + religious arguments included IMO -- but again..... each to their own.

Regarding performance enough people have been vegetarian/vegan on here and switched to see that it works better for them.

I've been accused of being intolerant before so probably won't be the last time this has happened.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #33
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I'll state my usual spiel of vegetarians being deficient in B12, omega-3s, etc. leading to anywhere from pernicious anemia to retardation in myelination of axons and atrophy of cerebral structures.

This is even moreso in infants and children (as they're growing and actually NEED these things to grow). There is a gluttony of studies on cerebral retardation of infants lacking b12 and omega-3s from breast milk.

I find the fact that supplementation is REQUIRED or eating foods that need to be enriched with vitamins (seeing as how they don't contain them themselves) to not be a very "wholesome" diet but each to their own.

Vegetarian/veganism are only experience a rise in this and last century because of our ability to process vitamins and minerals into foods. You certainly could not do it well enough pre 1900s which is why there are very few if any vegetarian/vegan people from those eras.

Oh wait, there was extremely low incidence of CVD/heart disease then too when everyone was eating their full fat milk, butter, red meats, etc.

There's no real evidence to support most of the arguments vegetarians make against eating meat -- see the vegetarian myth + religious arguments included IMO -- but again..... each to their own.

Regarding performance enough people have been vegetarian/vegan on here and switched to see that it works better for them.

I've been accused of being intolerant before so probably won't be the last time this has happened.
Well vegetarians get B12 from animal products they do consume and vegans should supplement B12. Although since B12 comes from the soil, there are chances that if they are eating organic produce that isn't sterilized then they could also be getting B12 that way. I've known meat eaters who have been B12 deficient so it is a serious enough thing that I think people should get it checked during their yearly checkups, no matter their diet.

As for omega-3s, again, it isn't just a vegetarian/vegan thing as many people don't consume foods high in omega3s. I personally do but then again, I never ate fish prior to giving up meat so I probably consume more omega 3s now than I did prior to being vegan.

And I'm sure veganism has risen but I'd say vegetarianism has probably remained the same or possibly gone down. There are many societies that are vegetarian or near vegetarian for various reasons including religious, economics and availability.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #34
James Mainiero

Profile:

Sorry are you any of you educated Registered Dietitians? What amino's do you think are lacking in a vegan or vegetarian diet?

Also instead of *****ing about how bad a veg diet is why not just try and support your fellow crossfiters?

A great expert in the field is Nancy Clark http://www.nancyclarkrd.com/
Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #35
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mainiero View Post
Sorry are you any of you educated Registered Dietitians? What amino's do you think are lacking in a vegan or vegetarian diet?

Also instead of *****ing about how bad a veg diet is why not just try and support your fellow crossfiters?

We're having a healthy discussion here. Also, I wouldn't believe anyone's nutrition advice just because he/she was a "Registered Dietician."
Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #36
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:

I've been going through her blog and there seems to be some good stuff in there. I like her approach of trying to work with people within their own 'nutrition religion' as she calls it. I'm sure she has her biases as well but it speaks to a certain open mindedness.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #37
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
I've been going through her blog and there seems to be some good stuff in there. I like her approach of trying to work with people within their own 'nutrition religion' as she calls it. I'm sure she has her biases as well but it speaks to a certain open mindedness.
And a certain pragmatism. The fewer changes you ask someone to make, the more likely they are to actually follow the program. Especially with something having as much cultural and emotional baggage as food.

There's also a matter of priorities. If someone is drinking a 2-liter bottle of Coke per day, getting them to stop that will have a bigger impact than almost anything else you can do.

Katherine
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:

James, Steven has a degree in Biochemistry, and would mop the floor with any dietitian regarding any metabolic pathway.