CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #21
Angelina Kelly

Profile:
Re: Vegans and performance

And well the real answer is probably don't ask a bunch of meat eaters about vegetarian/vegan nutrition. Even though I knew a fair amount about nutrition prior to be vegan, I didn't know anything about vegetarian nutrition.

Although sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a vegetarian thread here where vegetarianism isn't questioned/ridiculed, I'm not sure it could happen. There are possibly better sources of information out there.

So I'd probably say the real answer is to talk to someone who knows about vegetarian nutrition especially sports nutrition. A couple years ago, I had my diet analyzed by a sports nutritionist who was aware of vegetarian nutrition. Although she really didn't tell me anything I didn't know already, it was nice to discuss issues/concerns.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Kelly View Post
And well the real answer is probably don't ask a bunch of meat eaters about vegetarian/vegan nutrition. Even though I knew a fair amount about nutrition prior to be vegan, I didn't know anything about vegetarian nutrition.

Although sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a vegetarian thread here where vegetarianism isn't questioned/ridiculed, I'm not sure it could happen. There are possibly better sources of information out there.

So I'd probably say the real answer is to talk to someone who knows about vegetarian nutrition especially sports nutrition. A couple years ago, I had my diet analyzed by a sports nutritionist who was aware of vegetarian nutrition. Although she really didn't tell me anything I didn't know already, it was nice to discuss issues/concerns.
  • vegetarian
  • nutrition

Pick one.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
  • vegetarian
  • nutrition

Pick one.
Untrue. I think people should know about nutrition no matter if they eat meat or not but if they choose to be vegetarian, then I think they need to know how to do so healthfully. Especially growing up in a westernized society where vegetarianism/near vegetarianism isn't as common as other parts of the world.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #24
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Untrue. I think people should know about nutrition no matter if they eat meat or not but if they choose to be vegetarian, then I think they need to know how to do so healthfully. Especially growing up in a westernized society where vegetarianism/near vegetarianism isn't as common as other parts of the world.
What I was pointing out was the counterproductivity of educating people on "vegetarian nutrition," whatever that is supposed to mean; even if you do manage to teach them something helpful, you will still be doing them a colossal disservice by telling them not to eat meat. Deal with it.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 AM   #25
Nathan Bedle

Profile:

I can't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_fetch.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	7300  
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #26
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
What I was pointing out was the counterproductivity of educating people on "vegetarian nutrition," whatever that is supposed to mean; even if you do manage to teach them something helpful, you will still be doing them a colossal disservice by telling them not to eat meat. Deal with it.
Could you explain why educating people on vegetarian nutrition is "doing them a colossal disservice" when the Position Statement of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian Diets states that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets have been shown to be healthful, nutritionally adequate, and beneficial in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases" and "are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle" and the Position Statement of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance states that "well-planned vegetarian diets appear to effectively support parameters that influence athletic performance"?

*All links wfs*
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #27
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Quote:
What is meant by "vegetarian nutrition" is proper nutrition from a vegetarian point of view. It isn't telling someone to not eat meat, it is telling someone who doesn't eat meat how they should be eating to properly fuel their body.

And Darryl pointed out below that vegetarian diets have been reviewed by many health organizations and have been found to be healthful but again, I think everyone should know something about proper nutrition no matter what their diet. I don't eat meat, won't eat meat so telling me or any vegetarians to eat meat isn't helpful. To say "here is how you should be eating if you don't eat meat" is helpful.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #28
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
What is meant by "vegetarian nutrition" is proper nutrition from a vegetarian point of view. It isn't telling someone to not eat meat, it is telling someone who doesn't eat meat how they should be eating to properly fuel their body.

And Darryl pointed out below that vegetarian diets have been reviewed by many health organizations and have been found to be healthful but again, I think everyone should know something about proper nutrition no matter what their diet. I don't eat meat, won't eat meat so telling me or any vegetarians to eat meat isn't helpful. To say "here is how you should be eating if you don't eat meat" is helpful.
I'll admit that certainly some vegetarian diets could be less bad than others, for example a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, dairy, and eggs, while vegetarian, is of course "better" than eating twinkies (which are vegan), but it's still not very good, because it doesn't include meat.

Darryl certainly did "point out" that many health organizations believe that vegetarian diets can be healthy, but his vote of confidence doesn't make their claims any less fatuous.

The point of my original post was that vegetarianism is antithetical to good nutrition. You can either be a vegetarian, or you can eat well, but you can't have it both ways.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Darryl certainly did "point out" that many health organizations believe that vegetarian diets can be healthy, but his vote of confidence doesn't make their claims any less fatuous.

The point of my original post was that vegetarianism is antithetical to good nutrition. You can either be a vegetarian, or you can eat well, but you can't have it both ways.
Did you read Darryl's post about his own health numbers?

Do you have evidence for the supposed unhealthiness of vegetarian diets?

I love barbecue too much to be a vegetarian myself, but the claim that vegetarianism is antithetical to good nutrition is just wrong.

Katherine
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #30
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Could you explain why educating people on vegetarian nutrition is "doing them a colossal disservice" when the Position Statement of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian Diets states that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets have been shown to be healthful, nutritionally adequate, and beneficial in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases" and "are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle" and the Position Statement of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance states that "well-planned vegetarian diets appear to effectively support parameters that influence athletic performance"?

*All links wfs*
Are they including grains into that statement ?

If so good luck on getting anyone here to buy into it.

Define athletic performance.