CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Dave Witt

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian lunch ideas?

Thanks for the links! Yes, I definitely want to look at both sides of the issue. I know a vegetarian diet wouldn't (shouldn't?) hurt me, but if it's not necessary, why torture myself? I do believe that I should be eating cleaner, though. More whole foods. I don't believe all the processed, "chemicalized" food is good for me.
And yes, I can stand to lose some weight/fat. I'm 6'0", about 196 lbs, most of my excess weight is in my stomach area.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Yep, it's an important distinction. Losing weight and losing fat are two very different goals and thus should be accompanied by VERY different eating habits.

And I totally support you in eating clean. No one thinks processed chemical foods are a good idea.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Less processed food, more energy, and weight loss are all great goals. Whether a vegetarian diet is the best way to achieve those goals is another question.

Certainly many vegetarian diets are very very high in processed foods, particularly soy and gluten-based meat substitutes. It's easy enough to say "well then, don't eat those," but they are substantially more convenient than, say, a properly prepared lentil curry. Since you've already said you have a tendency to eat too much fast food, adopting a diet based on whole foods is likely to be difficult for you whether it is vegetarian or not. Meat is a non-processed protein source that is still pretty easy to prepare.

Weight loss is a matter of creating a sustainable calorie deficit. Many people lose weight on a vegetarian diet because most vegetarian sources are not particularly calorie dense: lots of bulk with not very many calories. But then many people lose weight on meat-based paleo diets for the same reason.

Energy levels depend on both total calories and macronutrient ratios. Large quantities of sugar will tend to cause energy spikes and crashes. Fats and proteins tend to moderate this effect, smoothing out the spikes. But you still have to eat enough. Again, any diet centered around balanced portions of whole foods should give you more stable energy levels than one rich in fast foods.

This is not to encourage or discourage your proposed switch, just to suggest that your stated goals do not *require* such a switch, and in fact making the switch may make meeting them more difficult than it needs to be.

Katherine
Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Dave Witt

Profile:

Well, on that note, I could care less what I weigh, as long as I'm healthy/fit. So I'd say I need to lose fat. I'd rather weigh 195 & be fit/muscular, than weigh 170 & be flabby/out of shape.
Recommendations?
btw...I haven't started CrossFit yet...haven't exercised in months! So, just working out again will help, along w/ eating clean.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
adam adkins

Profile:

There is no question you can do a vegan diet and do it well. If you are into it I would highly recommend Mike Mahler and Jon Hinds (Monkeybargym). Those guys are vegan and put up great physical numbers. With that said, if you are going to be vegan you have to be comfortable eating a lot of processed food products. Those guys are eating a ton of pea protein and other heavily processed stuff.

If you just read the China Study and are getting hopped up on it I would keep reading. Here is one of the most outspoken vegan around:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-deforestation

My personal opinion, the china study sucks, vegetarianism sucks, eat meat, lift heavy stuff, and you will achieve you goals and be healthy.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
With that said, if you are going to be vegan you have to be comfortable eating a lot of processed food products. Those guys are eating a ton of pea protein and other heavily processed stuff.
Totally not true. I rarely eat processed foods. Yes there are vegans who do but there are many vegans that don't.

When I wanted to go vegetarian (not vegan), I read The China Study. I liked it but I'd say it is only one book that I read. I was mostly interested in how to be a healthy vegetarian. I was at the point that I was forcing myself to eat meat, I rarely ate dairy and ate few eggs. I read some other books that helped me figure out how to eat a well rounded, whole foods type diet and when I was ready, I switched.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Dave Witt

Profile:

Lol! Love it, Adam! Now, tell me what you REALLY think!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
Dave Witt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
When I was vegetarian/vegan...
What made you decide to change, Meghan?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #19
Robert Newman

Profile:

I recommend a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I go through 10-15 bananas, lots of dates, and some other stuff + a salad when I'm not being lazy. Throw some nuts in there too. It's been working well for me :]
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Witt View Post
What made you decide to change, Meghan?
I'm working on the answer to this, and I'll get back to you. It was an important shift in my thinking, and wasn't something I entered in to lightly, so I want to make sure I say it the right way. Be back soon.