CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #4341
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Kelly View Post
I was tired and felt weak due to lack of sleep so I was surprised I could do near my max 5 times on the deadlifts.
We talked about that this weekend at Rip's cert. Women always have a 5RM much closer to their 1RM due to not being able to recruit as many motor units as men. Basically, a woman's 1RM is not a true test of her absolute strength.

Just a tip from this weekend also, do NOT bounce reps on your deadlifts when you are doing them for strength work. If you have to show four fingers in between reps to get yourself used to this, do it. I knew this, and I've been doing my strength sets touch-and-go, thinking that I wasn't getting much benefit from a bounce because I wasn't trying to bounce. Dude, HUGE difference when you stop pulling touch and go. We had to reset in between reps except on our last set. Strength work should be strength work. You are not trying to move the most weight...you are trying get effing STRONG.

Now, metcons are a different story. But, I don't do those anymore .
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #4342
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

It's really amazing how different deadlifts feel when you reset between every round. It's a totally different workout.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #4343
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

I guess it is a good thing that I have to reset after ever rep on the deadlifts since it hurts my hands So I lower the weight let go, reset lift, repeat.

I'm also not a weight dropper, not sure if I ever will be one
Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #4344
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Kelly View Post
I'm also not a weight dropper, not sure if I ever will be one
If you are going to do Olympic lifts, you will have to learn how to drop weights safely from overhead. Not 95 lbs during Grace or other metcons, but heavy jerks and snatches. You have to drop them. There is no other way to safely get them back to the ground.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #4345
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
If you are going to do Olympic lifts, you will have to learn how to drop weights safely from overhead. Not 95 lbs during Grace or other metcons, but heavy jerks and snatches. You have to drop them. There is no other way to safely get them back to the ground.
This. As the coach at my affiliate explained, if you needed explosive leg drive to put the weight *up*, there's no way just your arms will be able to control it on the way *down.*

It's a good idea to know how to drop even if you're only using lighter weights. Missed lifts happen, and it's better to be embarrassed than squashed.

Katherine
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #4346
Nora Wright

Profile:

Day 4 of fundamentals down, and I'm still loving it! Had some issues today though. Plan was to do Fran (gasp), however with an injured shoulder, thrusters were just killing me. Not sure if it's because my work out on Monday left my shoulders and arms pretty sore, or if in fact it was the injury. I'm hopefully going to be able to deal with the pain or either make it stronger by doing other things first. It sucked not to be able to do it :0( So instead I did pull ups and wall balls.

I'm having issues with my squats, and hoping that the flexibility comes quickly so I can do a better job at them. Instead of jumping on the pull ups, we used a rubber band and I managed to kip myself up with assistance! I'm so excited by that, although I ended up having to jump as the workout progressed. AND I had my first tear on my hands from pull ups. It doesn't hurt like I imagined it would. I just keep thinking.. more calluses I have, the more grip I'll have :0)
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4347
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Ok I should say I don't normally drop weights but I do know how. I was mentally running through my mind how to bail out of a back squat when I was doing them yesterday I haven't really had to drop weights except maybe a couple times but I normally don't.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #4348
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:

I'm also not a weight dropper, not sure if I ever will be one [/QUOTE]

I LOVE dropping weights ~ now. I used to be terrified of it but I love the loud bang heavy weights make!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #4349
Ariel Colletti

Profile:

Hi ladies. I've been doing crossfit for about a week... I did one regular WOD (murph) and have had two beginner classes. My question is... did any of you or do any of you have a lot, lot, LOT of trouble doing pull ups? Like, I don't go anywhere when I try to lift my body weight. It's embarrassing. I'm going to work at it but I'm a little worried that I'm just not going to be able to do this... any one have any experience being terrible at pulls up and then getting better? I'd really love to hear it.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #4350
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Ariel, everyone starts somewhere, most women I've encountered CAN'T do a regular pullup. You're not alone, just work at it and you'll get there.