CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #51
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
there is a difference from being able to learn a technique during training and performing it under duress, especially against someone bigger and stronger than you.
Oh yeah, hence why I subscribe to the KISS principle when it comes to self-defense: Keep it basic and focus on gross motor skill techniques.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #52
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I've only been in one fist fight in my adult life and that was because I was defending a friend that had been attacked from behind and was taking a beating due to this.
All other times I try my best to avoid fights, which I suppose is the smart thing to do. Don't go looking for trouble and all.

I did think I was in for a fight one time. I was at a *ahem* gentleman's club *ahem* and I was walking by and I knocked a beer out of this guys hands on accident (he was double-fisting so he had two) and I though "Oh boy, this guy is going to want a piece of me now." I immediately apologized profusely and picked the bottle up to salvage what hadn't poured out.
The guy just smiled and said "Just an accident. Don't worry." I felt so bad though I ran down and bought him two more. He laughed it off and took one and told me to keep the other.

It's funny to think back on situations and think "If that person hadn't been so good natured, etc. things may have gone south." That's where I suppose it's good to know how to defend yourself.

But I'm doing Judo for fun, fitness and sport.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #53
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
However, create pain, then wrist throw may work well.

Grabbing a wrist and then performing a technique is something else entirely.

As well we have all trained with those people who have limited flexibility in their limbs and locks work better compared to those people who have a lot of ROM and you have to crank it more on.
Pain and torque aren't very reliable, especially against someone bigger than you. Kuzushi trumps all.

Katherine
Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #54
James Orr

Profile:

Ah, I wish I had found this thread earlier!

Congratulations on making a choice!

I practice Shou Shu, a chinese application art. My studio's amazing. I have the opportunity to learn from a grand master (8th degree, and yes, it's very much earned and respected), it's rare that you don't see masters (5th degree) working on their material, and 1st-4th degree black belts are almost guaranteed to be there at all times.

I would look for that in any school. Is there a diversity of ranks present in the community? Is there a diversity, ranks, voices, and preferences in the instruction?

As far as karate goes, I wouldn't steer away from it by any means. Get the name of the style, google it, and ensure that it has some rooting in Japan as one of the traditional styles. There are way to many hybrid styles out there. If it sounds like "American Freestyle" or something, you're not going to be able to continue very far past your black---which is when the learning really begins.

Katherine, I get so much out of your posts and reasonableness.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #55
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Ah, I wish I had found this thread earlier!

Congratulations on making a choice!

I practice Shou Shu, a chinese application art. My studio's amazing. I have the opportunity to learn from a grand master (8th degree, and yes, it's very much earned and respected), it's rare that you don't see masters (5th degree) working on their material, and 1st-4th degree black belts are almost guaranteed to be there at all times.

I would look for that in any school. Is there a diversity of ranks present in the community? Is there a diversity, ranks, voices, and preferences in the instruction?

As far as karate goes, I wouldn't steer away from it by any means. Get the name of the style, google it, and ensure that it has some rooting in Japan as one of the traditional styles. There are way to many hybrid styles out there. If it sounds like "American Freestyle" or something, you're not going to be able to continue very far past your black---which is when the learning really begins.

Katherine, I get so much out of your posts and reasonableness.
So damn true.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #56
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

I belong to a school that mixes tang soo do and jiu jitsu. I have a green belt, which I got right before I quit to start Crossfit a few months ago. I'm considering going back but it would make my tight schedule even tighter. It was fun though and my husband does it and he is going to go for his blue belt next round.

We actually don't do falls until green belt so it was just starting to get interesting but I wanted to do Crossfit more.

My husband also wants to buy mats for home so if anybody has any tips on mats for falling for home use, let me know.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #57
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Puzzle mats are sorta cheap but still aren't very cushy.

Falls and breakfalls are like basics 101 before kick, punch, block, etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #58
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Puzzle mats are sorta cheap but still aren't very cushy.

Falls and breakfalls are like basics 101 before kick, punch, block, etc.
Cue the grappling vs. striking debate... :stir:

I actually agree with you, though. Falls injure vast numbers of people every year. Knowing how to fall will do a lot more for your overall wellbeing than knowing how to hit/be hit.

If you're going to get mats for the home, I'd recommend either building a tatami room or buying good quality wrestling mats. Puzzle mats are just the stuff you waste money on until you convince yourself to get something good.

Katherine
Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #59
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Cue the grappling vs. striking debate... :stir:
LOL. Even strikers need to know how to fall and some basic ground work in case the fight goes to the ground. I prefer to keep the fight standing, more options for me including running away.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #60
Chris Lampe

Profile:

I just realized you are in the OKC metro!

It sounds like you've found a place you are happy with but I was going to recommend Haggerty's Martial Arts in Mid-West City. The internet reviews are mostly positive and he does traditional Goju-Ryu Karate, not Americanized Karate or TKD mis-labled as "Karate". His lineage goes right back to the founder of the art and one of the guys has a couple of classic Goju-Ryu books on the market.

I'm no martial artist and have no experience with Haggerty's but when I was thinking of taking up an art he was my top pick. I liked the idea of traditional art rather than a modern one and I was primarily interested in striking rather than grappling.

Last edited by Chris Lampe; 11-16-2010 at 11:31 AM..