CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
Ryan Blair

Profile:
Re: Post SS - Immediate loss in squat

I had a strange thing happen. I hurt my hip flexor after 3 weeks of SS. My 1 rep max was 275. I was able to go up to 5 reps with 285, that's where I had to quit with the painful hip flexor. It was extremely sore for over a month, I did not even body squat, It's been nearly 3 months and my BW is down to 168 from 178 while doing SS. I've not done any heavy squating since. When I did CF Total the other day I did 345 and really couldn't believe it, I did it again a week later to a dynamax to be sure I was getting low enough. I also PR'd DL by 40 lbs. Don't know how this happend, maybe genetics?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Congrats on the squat PR. Now punch yourself in the face for doing a 1RM back squat on a stinking medicine ball.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
Chris Walls

Profile:

Ryan a dynamax does not automatically equal proper depth... not to mention having something in the way during a 1RM is asking for hurt if things go south or you have to bail...
Old 06-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

Profile:

After minding to Gant's suggestion, are you saying that you went from a 275# 1RM back squat to a 285# 5RM back squat--while losing 10# of bodyweight in the process--in three weeks --and then you did a new PR of 345# 1RM after 3 months of no heavy squatting?

Something is very fishy there. Either you were being a weenie for the first test, or quite possibly your squat depth turned into squat shallowness...

It's not genetics. Honestly, I don't know why I just answered this...it's just too weird to be true...

Last edited by Garrett Smith; 06-24-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: adding emphasis, natch
Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
Kevin Steel

Profile:

im not familar with the workout program terms- SS, Metcom, Hybrid. can someone explain or point me to where i can find out? thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #26
Joey Powell

Profile:

Ryan, it makes since to me. not everyone loses strength right away, and due to the rest you obviously needed you were probably mildly over-trained. Obviously getting strong (contractile strength) is natural for you and just needed to be jump started.

Run with it.

Suggestion-- learn when to back off a little and you will make much faster gains.

If you are training correctly...less is often more, particularly in the strength game.

SS wore me out and I had to back off and go to a heavy day and a speed day to feel like I was always moving forward.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #27
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Joey is definitely right in regards to less sometimes being more, especially when things get heavy. Things are starting to get heavy for me, and I'm subbing front squats for my middle day, which, besides helping build my quads a bit, is a huge relief in regards to not having to back squat heavily 3 days a week.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #28
Ryan Blair

Profile:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joey.

Ok I'll punch myself in the face, and next time I'll video to double check depth and toss the dynamax.

I hadn't done any heavy squats other than when it came up in the WOD(been CFing for a year now) , since high school football. So I tested the week before I started SS. I felt like the most I was able to do at that point was 225 for a 5 rep max. Now I did have a strong squat in High School, but that was 16 years ago.

So I followed SS with a gallon of milk a day. I started with 3 x 5 squat with 195 I then jumped to 215 and then tried to add 10lbs per workout per Rip. So over the next 7 workouts I added 70lbs to my 3 x 5. When I hit 285 which I did video and post to Rip's forum(3 wks in and he gave me the thumbs up), the hip pain that I thought was muscle soreness never went away. So I had gained 10lbs BW, and added 65lb to my best 3 x 5(in 3 wks), but never got to max, until the other day.

That's the full story for Garrett, the question is was it legal. I'll take a video and let you guys decide.

Last edited by Ryan Blair; 06-25-2008 at 05:26 AM..
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #29
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Kevin:
SS refers to the training programs in "Starting Strength," by Mark Rippetoe, a.k.a Coach Rip.

Met Con is 'metabolic conditioning', basically, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation) high intensity interval training with weights.

Hybrid--I have no idea.