CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #81
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: Hybrid programs

I see, but doing lighter metcons has it's own effects too.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #82
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Spears View Post
The EDT workouts I have always seen and done involved a format such as:

Heavy complex lift (squat/deadlift/press) type lift...I have seen from a 5x5 to a 10x1 variation.

This was then followed by a time period of supersetted exercises.
There are many types of "density training", but mainly only one type of "EDT", or "Escalating Density Training", as first proposed by Charles Staley. From Going Deep With EDT: Your 10 Most Common Questions Answered (T-Nation, not necessarily WFS)

Quote:
With EDT, my goal was to create a system that was based on principles and guidelines rather than rules. The basic premise is that you see how many total reps you can perform (called your "PR" or "personal record") for two antagonistic exercises in 15 minutes using a 10RM weight.

Then you get to choose the details (sets, reps, rest periods, etc.) for yourself. Workout by workout, you attempt to beat your PR's, ensuring gradually increased training density (hence, the name of the system).

As you become capable of performing more and more work in the same period of time, your muscles are forced to adapt by growing bigger and stronger.
That's the original EDT. Like with any training approach, many have mixed and matched with it since they learned about it.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #83
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
What effects do you think the lighter metcons have that the strength-biased ones do not? Just curious...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #84
Stuart Buck

Profile:

Gant -- to return to your Excel chart, could I ask for a bit more explanation? I was confused by some of the entries. For example (my questions are in brackets):

Mar 18: planche, SN assist, CL assist [does assist just mean light-weight?], OHS (L) [what does the L mean?]. Metcon: 3:19. [What do you mean, metcon of 3:19? Was all of the above supposed to be metcon, and if so, how many reps/sets? Or was there a separate metcon of some kind?]

Same for March 21: Heavy snatch and medium clean/jerk [right]? And then a separate metcon of 10:00, or were the snatch and clean/jerk done in metcon fashion?

More broadly, was the Excel chart supposed to match up precisely to the program that you gave here: http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=20 ?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #85
Noel Welsh

Profile:

I'm not Gant, nor do I play him on TV, but here is my interpretation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Buck View Post
Mar 18: planche, SN assist, CL assist [does assist just mean light-weight?],
The assistance exercises are things like tall cleans. You'll find more information and exercises in the Performance Menu WOD, or Gant's log.

Quote:
OHS (L) [what does the L mean?].
I assume it means Light, which the obvious meanings for M, and H. I looked a the spreadsheet when Gant first posted it. My recollection is that he started out with more light workouts and they got heavier as he got into the program. I guess this was a ramp-up to see how he adapted to the load.

Quote:
Metcon: 3:19. [What do you mean, metcon of 3:19? Was all of the above supposed to be metcon, and if so, how many reps/sets? Or was there a separate metcon of some kind?]
That was a separate workout, which took 3 minutes and 19 seconds. See Gant's workout log (linked from his sig) for full details.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #86
Stuart Buck

Profile:

OK, that makes more sense. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #87
Cosmo Mazza

Profile:

Gant:

Great post! I just finished Practical Programming and started to design my own program but now I plan to lift a lot from you...thanks!!

I have a question. How does your primary sport fit in?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #88
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'll go back and read between page 2 and this one but this sounds a bit like Roger Harrell's 7-9 minute gymnastics WOD at the end of his gymnastics workouts.
Generally we'd so some strength stuff first and 3 rounds of 4 exercises 45-15 or tabata or as many rounds as you can in 7-9 minutes or finish so many rounds for time. Granted this was also because we only had about half an hour from the last event till we ended and it was getting late by then.

Intense short conditioning sets at the end of the day. Different with the 2-3 hour workouts and some weights before or as or included in the end workout.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #89
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
Indeed they do. And I have been avoiding them for the past few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Mazza View Post
Gant:

Great post! I just finished Practical Programming and started to design my own program but now I plan to lift a lot from you...thanks!!

I have a question. How does your primary sport fit in?
Read SS.

What are your goals?

I claim judo as my primary sport, but I don't get to compete or even attend class as consistently as I would like. However, for the purposes of 3-minute master's matches and tossing people around that weigh 81-90 kg, it's pretty damn good.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #90
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Welsh View Post
I'm not Gant, nor do I play him on TV, but here is my interpretation:

The assistance exercises are things like tall cleans. You'll find more information and exercises in the Performance Menu WOD, or Gant's log.

I assume it means Light, which the obvious meanings for M, and H. I looked a the spreadsheet when Gant first posted it. My recollection is that he started out with more light workouts and they got heavier as he got into the program. I guess this was a ramp-up to see how he adapted to the load.

That was a separate workout, which took 3 minutes and 19 seconds. See Gant's workout log (linked from his sig) for full details.
You may as well play me on TV, because you pretty well have it.

Note the difference between OLY versions and OLY assistance. I'll do different versions on Heavy days (full, hang, power, and combos thereof). Light day is for drilling (muscle snatch, tall clean, 3 position clean, snatch balance, etc.). You're grooving a specific motor pattern--usually in an area that needs work--without adapting to a lower weight in the full version.

For awhile, I was using a 5-day Practical Programming template for a beginning intermediate (H,M,H,off,H,L,off). Of course, you don't really program the OLY lifts that way, so there was a hodge podge of stuff in my log. The template I put out is also a little different from what I actually did. I'm trying to accommodate the advanced-novice to advanced-intermediate. Everybody can tailor the template to their own needs.

All my workouts are in my log. I try to comment whether they were good or not. If I write nothing, they are decent to good. If they suck, I usually say so.