CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Re: Hello Crossfit, new CrossFitter in Tucson

Big things are beginning to happen for CF in Tucson...the best way to stay updated is to subscribe to the Yahoo! email group (see link in my signature).

I will likely start doing low-priced workouts on weekends at various locations around town...those will also be announced on the email group (and eventual CF Tucson website). Nobody shows for free, that's why they will cost something.

Stay tuned!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Air Force is sending me to UoA for a year starting in August, so I'll be around looking to join up with you guys. Garrett: I've seen your group's page and am excited to see what's going on in a few months from now. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Ryan,
If you know of any other UA students, particularly those interested in a CF club that would likely meet in Bear Down Gym, get them together and get in touch with me.

You (we) would also need to find a faculty member to sign on to start an official club.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Cheyenne Husted

Profile:

I guess that swatfitness.com is gearing up to open the tucson crossfit soon.

(Hasnt it already been long enough??)

anyway...

I think that we are all around just need to make the effort to meet and do some WODs.

Pick a park, pick a partner, message me.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Cheyenne,
The initial meeting place has been Udall Park, in the ParCourse/playground area, 7:30am on Saturdays for whomever wants to show up. This is for those who don't need any coaching, and obviously bodyweight/running type workouts are most easily facilitated there.

No one has posted to the email group that they're going to be there yet, I personally need to catch up on my sleep...the Steve Cotter workshop on GS KB training last weekend and a busy week have me a bit behind on my proper rest.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
Neil Wattier

Profile:

I am scheduled to depart Korea in june and should be at DM by the end of the month. I'm lvl 1 CF and will be looking to expand that to lvl II as well as kettlebell, barbell, POSE & CF Kids. I'll be happy to help out in any way I can. I have quite the assortment of iron plates and dumbbells (no bumpers yet) as well as some homemade equipment (pullups bar, med balls, parallettes, rings...)

Also, if anyone has children who would like to try CF, my three (5 & 12-y/o boys, 9 y/o girl) are dying to pick it back up when I come home.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
Garrett Smith

Profile:

I changed my mind. I'm personally going to be at Udall Park at 7:30am Saturday to do "Cindy", which is perfectly suited to the equipment there. I guess I thought (hoped!) yesterday was Friday. Needless to say, it wasn't.

Free to all, no coaching provided, simply a community-building workout.

Or, for a different workout, people can do the 50 burpees for time from last week.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Ron Holland

Profile:

Hey All.
Yes, you've all been waiting for a while for a CF facility in Tucson. I just want you to know that we are committed to moving forward and making CF Tucson finally happen! We (Ron and Jana) have been approved for CF alliliation for Tucson and we are totally pumped about it!

In the past 8 weeks since taking responsibility for making this project happen, we're meeting with Cert'd CF Trainers/teachers, and are sending several of our existing trainers to Certification. Our trainers love CF and are gaining a whole new respect for their bodies... like only CF offers. We have a space, we've agreed on all the lease terms, and we have insurance quotes. We're completing our equipment list, and are consulting with an architect on what we need to do to the interior (bathrooms, shower, etc.)

The facility will be different. No getting your hair did or nails done. It's a garage-gym warehouse in an industrial / business park on the South Side. It will be just CF, group training classes and kettlebells. Nothing foo-foo; just a cool place to train.

So there you have it. Hang in there. No project moves as quickly as you want, but we've done okay so far, and I'm confident we'll have a box ready to go by mid-July if not sooner, depending on the buildout. I'll keep you posted at the Crossfit Tucson Yahoo Group. We'd like to organize a Tucson CF get-together soon. Let me know if you'd be interested in getting together for a social thing.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
Ron Holland

Profile:

Anybody else from Tucson going to Oly in Flagstaff?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #20
Chauncey Homer

Profile:

Hi Ron,

I'm looking forward to Tucson Crossfit- definitely let me know about the social- I'll be there. Please add my email address to your Tucson Crossfit list. Don't know if you remember me but I trained at SWAT a few years back.