CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Exclamation Exhaust fumes and testosterone issues

I got a question over PM about a comment I made regarding significant/excessive exposure to car/truck exhaust (ie. EMS workers, FFers, etc.) and its connection to decreased testosterone (among other health effects we generally don't want). I went on WFS www.Pubmed.gov, did some searching under "smoke testosterone" and "exhaust testosterone", came up with these gems, all WFS:

Nitrophenols isolated from diesel exhaust particles regulate steroidogenic gene expression and steroid synthesis in the human H295R adrenocortical cell line.
Effects of Benzo(a)pyrene on Intra-testicular Function in F-344 Rats.
Motorcycle exhaust induces reproductive toxicity and testicular interleukin-6 in male rats.
Diesel exhaust particle toxicity on spermatogenesis in the mouse is aryl hydrocarbon receptor dependent.
Detrimental effects of prenatal exposure to filtered diesel exhaust on mouse spermatogenesis.

This is some serious stuff. If you can turn your engines off, do it. If you can't, get upwind of it and/or as far away as you can manage at the time. Open some doors, get some ventilation going. Reducing exposure is key.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Exhaust fumes and testosterone issues

Heck, you don't need to worry about all that, the lung cancer will get you pretty quick, too. (Just lost a friend's Dad to lung cancer; never smoked but worked 20 years on the final test line at Caterpillar (diesel fumes galore).
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

No argument from me. Cigar(ette) smoke and exhaust fumes have never been high on my list of breathables. Interestingly, though, incense has never had that effect on me - I can be around it without coughing or anything. I'll have to look into that.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Don't you have those handy-dandy things to attach to your exhausts that vent it to the outside of the building? They come off automatically when you pull out....(kinda like shorelines hee hee). NO seriously, they are designed that you can drive off and they will detach.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Nope.. not a my station. I have morons that have their engines idling while washing the bus. If told to shut the engine off.. he just gets in and revs the engine up. Then the whole places stinks, and its only a few steps closer to gas chamber.

Boy, I am going to post these studies and see what happens.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Sounds like some great people to work with.
Hope the studies help.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Yeah at my station I sleep about 15 feet from the tail pipe with only one door separating the bunk room from the bay and everyone loves to keep it propped open. We do have a neadermen but it isn't always used and if youíre the guy putting it on you get a nice face full of exhaust while trying to attach the darn thing. Itís a good job but it comes with a price.