CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
If you think I'm cracked, you have a lot of company, but I wanted to mention a gadget that I have loved since I bought it, which is a neti pot. Basically, it's a means of flossing your nose with water. Yes, that's what I said. You take this pot, put some salt in it, fill it with warm water, pour it in one nostril over a sink, and it comes out the other one. If you are slightly congested, it does wonders. Most people, most of the time, have partially blocked nasal passages, and this thing does the job of wasabi, and a good upside down dunking in the ocean combined. I do it most nights before bed. Don't do it in the morning, or people will think you have a monkey on your back.

As I understand it, too, many illnesses first take root in your moist nasal passages, so there is likely some disease prevention benefit to daily use.

Here's one random website: http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/...ti/Netipot.htm
Old 06-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Chris Burns

Profile:
I've used mine every morning for about 10 years with great and I have no problems with monkeys on my back (monkey bar problems maybe).
Old 06-19-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
There was a recent discussion about this and I decided to try it. I thought it would be painful, but it's actually really nice and everything just feels fresh and crisp afterwards. I use it every morning ... no monkey problems here. :biggrin:
Old 06-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Clay Shelley

Profile:
...Monkey problems?

Do you do it in both nostrils or just one?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I recommended a neti pot to a freind with sinus problems and he laughed out loud on his way to surgery. Guess what the doctor recommended to keep things clear post surgery?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I love using my neti pot, I try to get my parents and friends on it due to they all have some sort of nasal issue, but they just refuse. It might have been due to the demo I gave a few of them one time.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
That monkey problem may be just me. Sometimes it just seems to keep dripping and dripping. Now, other than Goody's, I've never touched white powders in my life, but I've been told by friends that have, that that clear dripping is normally a reliable sign of misbehavior. I guess this is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations.

Anybody out there do the salt water puke, since we're on the topic of Kriyas? Or any of the others, like the cheese cloth?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Jeff Wright

Profile:
I love my neti pot, too. Although I haven't been using it as much lately, I expect that to change now that allergy season has started.

For the skeptics, there are a few studies mentioned here: http://sinucleanse.com/press_research.htm

This site has good instructions: http://www.jalanetipot.com/how.html
Especially about drying the nose afterward: http://www.jalanetipot.com/how_drying.html
Old 06-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Baron Dorff

Profile:
I had good luck with one as well. Interestingly though, I found most of what I was trying to treat went away on its own after I started working out regularly. Haven't needed the pot for a while now.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #10
Michael Forge

Profile:
With a pretty badly deviated septum, I found the neti pot a pain to use effectively. This http://www.camexco-inc.com/01_about_..._nasaline.html, avaiable from VitaminShoppe, has proven infinitely better.