CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
Antoni Edmunds

Profile:
Question about frequency of movements

I'm following workouts from an affiliate site which I'm very much enjoying but at the same time am a little confused by.

Basically Mondays strength portion of the workout was squats for 3x5

Tuesday there was a wod involving thrusters and then on Wednesday a wod which involved overhead walking lunges.

Is this not too much for legs? I mean I wouldn't bench press after a day of over head presses and I certainly wouldn't bench or overhead press 2 days in a row.

Thoughts on this? Are legs a muscle that can tolerate that much work?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Question about frequency of movements

First off, have you asked the affiliate what they are programming towards? Do they intend their members to wod on a certain schedule of A or B workouts, or strength programming etc.

If not, and they do program for members to workout daily there are two things to consider:
1) No all affiliates have good programming, some just throw together random crap,what made you choose this one?
2) And this is probably the end answer to your question... In crossfit we do not work muscles in isolation, virtually never. The whole point of CF is to work your whole body every single session.
If it was a heavy 3x5 squat session, you should probably know yourself well enough to determine whether you need a rest or active recovery day following in order to make strength gains, but for most people, if the only focus was the 3x5 squats they should be fine to workout the following day. If they had to you doing strength progression work every single day, it would be an issue, but with a good mix of metcon (for time or amrap with a lightish weight) and strength it shouldn't be an issue.

* to further clarify, you will never ever see things delineated into leg day, bis and tris.. etc. Squatting in general is a foundational movement, you should expect to do SOME form of squatting pretty much every single day, whether air squats, weighted back or front squats, thrusters, clean, snatch, pistols... etc.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 10-03-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Antoni Edmunds

Profile:

Thanks for your reply! Has helped a lot..

The affiliate site im following is www.crossfitfairbanks.com Seems very legitimate.

thoughts?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Fairbanks is a solid program.

Keep in mind there is a difference in strength training a body part and conditioning a body part. Heavy rep squats stress the system much more than thrusters that can be used in a conditioning workout.

Also keep in mind your body usually works in a unit, so if you want to strength train 3-4 x week and get conditioning done it will be almost impossible to avoid overlap in bodyparts covered.

So ideally, most of the time you wouldn't want to do heavy strength training for the same body part two days in a row unless you have built up to that over time.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

This is actually a complicated question. Things to consider:

1) When is the next actual "Strength Day" for legs?

1.5) How many days part for the heavy leg work?

2) How heavy were the thrusters and walking lunges with weight overhead compared to your 3 x 5 squats?

3) Should you have scald the met-con weights to keep them in the right range?

4) Is there a complete rest day in the middle somewhere before the next heavy leg day?

5) How does the affiliate handle attendance? Make ups for missed heavy days?

6) Do they recommend a specific scheduled to get the best results from their programing?

There is even more that goes into it but this should give you an idea of all the variables.

If they don't publish this information there may be instructions given at the gym you are not getting following along online.

In my gym the system favors our heavy lifting over our met-cons. Because our lifting rotation is personal to each person it is possible to lift heavy and then turn around and do the same lift in the met-con the same day.

We know that this will hurt the met-con results but that is OK. Over all our system does a great job at developing strength and metabolic capacity across our entire membership.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Kane Greene

Profile:

lol... I own and program for CrossFit Fairbanks.

Here's some insight for how our affiliate programming works.

It is MEANT to be a four day a week program. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.... With WED or Saturday being optional. WED & SAT are light weight and more lung burners than anything.

The basic template(for our level 1 strength program, which is what it looks like you're following)

Monday-- Squat + Push + WOD if you're up to it
Tues-- Deadlift + "" ""
Wednesday-- Rest
Thursday-- Squat + Push "" ""
Friday+ Power Clean + "" ""

We also run a more advanced program, as well as have a completely different program for gym rats that like to compete @ movefastliftheavy.com(W/F/S) and they all intertwine. The general L1 L2 program both merge with the WOD daily.

The weights programmed in the WOD are programmed for myself(I squat 525 and power clean over 300) or our top female(a regional competitor who cleans over 200, deadlifts close to 400 and squats over 300 @ 140). We are in a small town and I have 8 guys squatting over 400, and one guy pulling 600---as CrossFitters. Our **** works, and it works well.

That's awesome you are following our program, if you ever have any questions don't hesitate to email me at kane@crossfitfairbanks.com. We have a lot of people that do either the straight CrossFit Fairbanks or the MoveFastLiftHeavy, I get emails from people all over the world.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Looks remarkably similar to CFFB Kane, is that the intention?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Kane Greene

Profile:

Dylan,

Yes it's intentional. The CFFB template works really well for CFer's wanting to get strong and still feel they need to do metcons or something similiar to a metcon all the time. If you have noticed, we are featured on CFFB all the time. Twice in the last two weeks, lol.

However for our people that are really serious about training, we move them over to movefastliftheavy. It has way less metcons and is a westdide/ultimateathlete inspired program. With this we do 2-3 metcons a week(doing more now we have a cf competition next weekend). I've found that with doing "CrossFit" less, I have gotten better at it.