CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
William Hansen

Profile:
Heavyweights...

So in the past 24 months, I have competed in 11 competitions and its been the same thing I am usually anywhere from 50-70 lbs heavier than the majority of competitors. I am a 6 foot 3 - 285lb former college lineman and heavyweight wrestler with a 19% BF ratio now. So no matter how much I try to lose, I am just a big guy and won't ever be close to 200lbs like the majority of competitive crossfitters.

I travel alot for my work with Wounded Veterans and nearly every box I drop in at there are several bigger guys who are strong but they know that no matter what they are not gonna be able to do pull ups/rope climbs/gymnastic stuff like the smaller guys.

Is there was a competition for heavyweights (guys over 220lbs), heavier weights on the lifts, more strong man stuff, or doing things like burpees or toes to bar and instead of trying to keep pace with a 5' 5" 165 lb person - you are matching someone your size?

If there isn't one, do you think that there would be a market for one?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: Heavyweights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hansen View Post
So in the past 24 months, I have competed in 11 competitions and its been the same thing I am usually anywhere from 50-70 lbs heavier than the majority of competitors. I am a 6 foot 3 - 285lb former college lineman and heavyweight wrestler with a 19% BF ratio now. So no matter how much I try to lose, I am just a big guy and won't ever be close to 200lbs like the majority of competitive crossfitters.

I travel alot for my work with Wounded Veterans and nearly every box I drop in at there are several bigger guys who are strong but they know that no matter what they are not gonna be able to do pull ups/rope climbs/gymnastic stuff like the smaller guys.

Is there was a competition for heavyweights (guys over 220lbs), heavier weights on the lifts, more strong man stuff, or doing things like burpees or toes to bar and instead of trying to keep pace with a 5' 5" 165 lb person - you are matching someone your size?

to be honest, it goes both ways. sure the bigger guys struggle to be as fast on the body weight stuff but what about all the strength stuff? look at the games for example, a guy like Josh Bridges can destroy most people in body weight stuff but when they got to the heavy deadlifts, he got stopped in his track while the bigger guys blew by him. we have a few bigger guys in our gym and i see them squat 3 plates with the same effort it takes a smaller guy to do not even 2 plates.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Michael Cook

Profile:

You should come up to Oregon - there are a couple of competitions coming up.

December 13 - Hercules meet in Salem - The HERCULES WEIGHTLIFTING MEETTM is open to all level of athletes over the age of 18. All athletes are encouraged to familiarize themselves with different fitness domains; more specifically to have exposure to all Olympic and Power-lifting movements. Divisions will be based on weight-classes rather than the traditional Rx/Scaled divisions. Weight classes are listed and will be measured the morning of the event. All athletes will be required to sign a waiver.

This event is for anyone that enjoys lifting and short/heavy workouts. There will be no long met-cons or endurance workouts. Be prepared for one rep max lifting in the Olympic lifts and possibly more. Elements will be present from traditional Strongman movements as well as other strength domains. Our goal with this event is to celebrate STRENGTH and POWER relative to your body weight…one of the most important aspects of physical conditioning that is difficult to test at typical fitness events. Anyone of any strength level is able to participate. Lift big; we’ll see you in December!!!

http://nwfitgames.com/hercules-weightlifting-meet-2014/
wfs

Also, Oregon Winter Games, January 17th in Bend. https://www.facebook.com/events/3517...9/?pnref=story
wfs
There will be a "Yeti" division there, designed for the big guys like you.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

you probably won't like my answer but being 6'3 and 285...why not do actual strongman stuff...there are tons of amateur level strongman competitions in north america...different levels too, so you dont have to be able to squat 900 at every competition.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

If crossfit is what you want to do.. would start tackling that 19% BF. Have you done a hydro tank reading? How is the diet? I would focus on weight loss as much as you can while building your engine. Possibly going into the 235's will help everything in crossfit... Good luck.. 11 comps is a lot of them.. keep it up.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
you probably won't like my answer but being 6'3 and 285...why not do actual strongman stuff...there are tons of amateur level strongman competitions in north america...different levels too, so you dont have to be able to squat 900 at every competition.
That's exactly what I was thinking, strongman comps are the heavy weight division of CF. Or CF is the light weight division of strongman, depending on how you look at it.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Jordan Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hansen View Post

You are a big guy who should control to get in shape and hopefully keep your heavy lifts and you will definitely win some events and hopefully come in good place on other events for an overall win.
Like a few games competitors came in the top 10 overall in the world and didn't win any events at all. they were consistent across the board. You can win some events and try to get avg on some of the events that favor a smaller competitor.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
If crossfit is what you want to do.. would start tackling that 19% BF. Have you done a hydro tank reading? How is the diet? I would focus on weight loss as much as you can while building your engine. Possibly going into the 235's will help everything in crossfit... Good luck.. 11 comps is a lot of them.. keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Higgins View Post
You are a big guy who should control to get in shape and hopefully keep your heavy lifts and you will definitely win some events and hopefully come in good place on other events for an overall win.
Like a few games competitors came in the top 10 overall in the world and didn't win any events at all. they were consistent across the board. You can win some events and try to get avg on some of the events that favor a smaller competitor.
Even if he got down to 10% bf, he'd be hovering around 250-260...which is far and away heavier then any top level crossfit guy.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Should do a dunk tank.. some muscle would have to go also. How tall are you.

Keep in min that this is to be optimally for X fit.

If you are super strong then you have the option to work on the motor and endurance.. that might drip the lbs off also.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

sorry 6' 3" is tall.. guess that if the other athletes were 6' 3" they would be in the 220-250 range also. They are 5-7% body fat. Froning, Jason..